Mobile Broadband Fast Enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grew, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Grew

Grew Guest

From what i've read regarding that issue it is that the card shuts off communication with the tower after a set period of idle time. Your best bet is to set up a website that refreshes every couple minutes as to prevent the card from timing out.

#21     Jun 15, 2007
  2. The weird thing grew is that it will do this even when I am not on the service but the card is powered on. The green light will be on indicating it's ready to go and then it will start to flash and turn off. I am not connected to the service as this is my backup, but it's frustrating b/c some days it will do it multiple times in a day and some days (like today, knock on wood) it's perfectly fine. There's no rhyme or reason from what I can tell. :confused:

#22     Jun 15, 2007
  3. Grew

Grew Guest

well after spending way too much time trying to research the Advantages/Disadvantages of HSDPA vs EVDO rev A, I'm just going to buy both cards and use them for a month in Chicago, Boston, and NYC and see which one has the lower latency and better Download/upload speeds. I will be comparing Cingular vs Sprint. And i will post my daily results here. I dont' get my new laptop until the 9th or 10th of July, so the testing will start then.

#23     Jun 16, 2007
  4. my vote goes to sprint......i been using it real time action for 6 months without one hiccup........

#24     Jun 16, 2007
  5. BSAM

BSAM

Grew---

As others have pointed out, make sure the company you go with allows unlimited data. All those who are implying that unlimited data plans are available, are not giving out the whole story. Check out the fine print.

From what I've been able to ascertain, Sprint is the only one who offers true unlimited data. Someone please elaborate if I am incorrect.

I am very curious about these devices and would like to know more.

(P.S.---I wouldn't buy a rug from AT&T. But, that's another story.)

#25     Jun 16, 2007
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Larry---(Or others)

Are you using your air card for day trading?

#26     Jun 16, 2007
  7. daytrading ----------YES ...... BUT ....... no scalping or tick charts or news feeds..... i use sierra charts with interactive brokers and the connection is ROCK SOLID............

#27     Jun 16, 2007
  8. I used to use Verizon DSL, and the service just disconnects itself several times a day (wired line). I don't know how FIOS is, but I would avoid Verizon.

#28     Jun 16, 2007
  9. Can someone tell me which internet connection is better for direct acces trading: Cable or DSL?

#29     Jun 16, 2007
  10. Grew

Grew Guest

Business DSL is the most economic way to get a pretty reliable connection at a not very high cost.

If you are scalping i wouldn't touch cable or DSL (unless you use stops with every entry)

#30     Jun 18, 2007