Mobile Broadband Fast Enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grew, Jun 15, 2007.

1. inet

inet

How about Cingular Wireless broadband

#11     Jun 15, 2007
  2. inet

inet

How about Cingular Wireless broadband?

#12     Jun 15, 2007
  3. ER9

ER9

verizon according to my plan (unlimited) will only shut you down if you exceed 5gigs of data download a month. iv'e been using my connection as my primary since may 7th (havn't turned on my landline since) and iv'e only downloaded 1.3gigs so far. I doubt he should worry about being shut down for using it as a primary line.

also iv'e done extensive testing of my line speed and i would say average realistic speeds are around 350Kbps. around the speed of dsl. although admittedly i live in the heart of los angeles. my connection to new york is 350Kbps, chicago is 750. it varies. should be plenty fast so long as you dont have 5 web pages open simultaneously.

#13     Jun 15, 2007
  4. HSDPA is faster, but it's not rolled-out nationally. That's the service to own if you're in network.

#14     Jun 15, 2007
  5. Yeah, your data is what I've experienced [Chi/LA]. Verizon killed my buddy's sub and stated he was serving the signal with a cellular router. The guy has never seen a cell-router. Verizon is at capacity and doesn't want to take the hit on earnings to build out the network. A victim of their own success.

#15     Jun 15, 2007
  6. Grew

Grew Guest

I hear service (HSDPA) is spotty and the same speed as EVDO (even though they claim faster speeds)

#16     Jun 15, 2007
  7. From whom? Verizon? HSDPA is faster with less latency. I've clocked HSDPA in Chicago > 2.5 consistently. I don't use HSDPA as it's not served in my area.

Go with Sprint or Cingular. Verizon throttles-down their EV-DO and cans your contract.

#17     Jun 15, 2007
  8. Grew

Grew Guest

I knew that about verizon. But thanks for the info on Cingular. Curious as to what you pay for the Cingular as i looked on the website and I see 79.99/mo

#18     Jun 15, 2007
  9. My wife is an exec with ATT, but I don't use their service. HSDPA isn't available in my area until late-07.

#19     Jun 15, 2007
  10. I use the Verizon USB720 as backup and it's nice. Having it as a USB device allows you to use it on any computer as long as you can get to a USB port.

The one problem I have with it is that at times it just randomly shuts itself off and then sometimes turns back on. If not I have to unplug it and plug back in. It's annoying and I've contacted their tech support over and over on this. No luck so far. My guess there's a setting in my computer that is triggering it but yet to find it.

#20     Jun 15, 2007