MLB player has '13 bucks in my wallet' due to Standford Financial

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Red_Ink_inc, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Bootsie

Bootsie

I agree... there is little validity to the argument that 'how can someone be worth so much' when NO ONE ever talks about the owners take... Do you realize that the last two years of Michael Jordan's salary were in the low 30's (millions) and that the superstar clause was implimented because of him. The amount of $$ he made Jerry Kraus and the gang was in the 100's of millions... yet, the relationship was symbiotic in nature. They needed each other in order for each to fluorish.

I played pro ball for years and didn't need to work in the off-season... I invested my take, but I saw guys blow paychecks in a single night - as if the money was going to be there forever. (Some of the stuff I saw was ridiculous.) My Grandfather played for the Pirates in the 40's and had to work every offseason to pay the mortgage.... and he had a better curveball than me !!!

The money is crazy, but Joe-six-pack is paying to watch.

B

#21     Mar 2, 2009
  2. jem

jem

He is a very good guy. Very normal guy. I sat next to him for a few practices of our kids' baseball team. I had no idea he was a pro ballplayer. My wife learned of that fact from his wife. When she told me I was blown away.

I hope he gets all his money back. I am sure he must have taken his agent's advice on this matter.

I know he had respect for agent.

#22     Mar 2, 2009
  3. #23     Mar 2, 2009
  4. Bootsie

Bootsie

ya, but I'm looking at the front row seats at the new yankee stadium... they're all full - and - cost 2600 bucks. As long as people keep paying ridiculous amounts of money to watch baseball players, you have no argument.

#24     Apr 6, 2009