MJ, the greatest ever....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Jan 17, 2003.

1. The unbelievable piece for me is those who say he is not the best player on the wood right now! When you factor in all the pieces (age, wisdom, guts, etc.), is there really any doubt? With 20 seconds to go and down by one - he's still the best go to guy! :)

#21     Feb 2, 2003
  2. I have no doubt, absolutely no doubt, that if MJ were 10 years younger right now, playing on that team of scrubs, he would be averaging 50 points a game.

How many of the young prima donnas in the league would pay the price MJ is paying right now....just for a chance to keep playing a game at MJ's age.

When someone looks up "determination" in a dictionary, they should see a picture of Mike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#22     Feb 2, 2003
  3. #23     Feb 17, 2003
  4. God Bless MJ...

#24     Feb 17, 2003
  5. no to minimize MJ leaving, but this was coming after #6 Championship, the bulls were done for a while, "no tippin" pippin was out as well (pippin was known around the river north area for being a cheap ass with a attitude), whereas MJ was known as FIRST CLASS all around.

as to saddness, One might argue the collapse in San Diego by the CUBS in 84

as to stupid,,,,,well lets just name some stars the Bears picked in the First round in the 90's Rashann(smoke weed like marley) Salaami...... Cade(Im a big shot) MCclown .......Curtis (Joe Pa called a conman) Enis

and not to forget about the ---SADDEST EVENT EVER----the destruction of the stadium for the UC. ........... anyone remember the national anthem at Blackhawks games??????... .spine chilling
    amusement like nowhere else on earth.

#25     Feb 17, 2003
  6. [​IMG]

MJ goes off for 43 versus the Nets and their young "defensive star" Richard Jefferson, becoming the "FIRST PLAYER EVER OVER THE AGE OF 40 TO SCORE 40 POINTS!!!"

Kobe, you will NEVER, NEVER, EVER be the man!

#26     Feb 22, 2003
  7. Personally, the best thread ever that is un-related to trading...

I'm MJ's biggest fan!!!

Bigger than anyone in ET... Who got into NBA because of MJ??? If I wasn't a trader, I'll follow him around trying to watch every game he plays!!!

#27     Feb 22, 2003
  8. rs7

rs7

Is Tiger Woods the MJ of his sport?

Every once in a while an athlete comes along that raises the standard of the sport. And the standard is forever changed.

No one thought there would ever be a home run hitter like Babe Ruth.

No one ever thought a heavyweight fighter would come along with the talent of Joe Louis.

No one thought a four minute mile could be achieved by any human.

I don't know how many of you know who Morgan Pressell is. She qualified for the LPGA Open a couple years ago at the age of 12. I was talking to her dad shortly after that. He told me the real golfer in the family was the little brother who was nine at the time. Hit his driver over 170 yards (average size 9 year old). I played with an 11 year old that had been playing less than a year and shot a 76 from the mens tees.

There are no limits. No one has ever compared to MJ in basketball. But to say "the best that ever will be" is a bit far fetched.

Ask Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire. Ask Ali. Look what Rickey Henderson did to Lou Brock's stolen base record. Nolan Ryan had more no no's than most teams had cumulative in their long existences (the Mets, with great pitchers over the years have yet to have a single no hitter).

Dr. J in the slam dunk contest when the ABA allstars played the NBA allstars came baseline, put the ball in the hoop, took it out, and put it back in behind his head going away. Defied gravity in a different era than MJ. When asked about it, and what was possible, Julius said anything was possible physically. Thinking up the moves was the hard part for him.

I wish I could have a time machine so I could see what a 1 minute mile will look like someday (assuming the world lasts long enough). Maybe it will never happen. Running 60 miles an hour sure seems impossible. But my grandfather was born before they had cars (let alone airplanes). He lived to see a man walk on the moon.

One thing we do know. Records fall. All the time. What is the limit. Is there such a thing as a limit?

Peace,
    :)rs7

#28     Feb 22, 2003
  9. Assuming Tiger Woods stays healthy and motivated, he will break all of Jack's records. Jack predicted that even before Tiger turned pro.

The question is not always one of physical talent, but motivation.

Will Kobe stay motivated for the next 16 years? Will Tiger play into his 40's? Will Tiger pull a Nicklaus at age 46 and win a Masters tournament?

Can all records be broken? In theory yes.

Have we seen the "greatest" ever? Probably yes.

Hunger is the best motivation, and as long as salaries are as high as they are these days, it will take a different kind of hunger to replicate the feats of the past.

Who can compare what Jim Brown did in his era to Emmitt Smith? Because Emmitt Smith has more yards, is he the better back?

Because Lennox Lewis is a larger man than Ali, is Lennox the better champion?

Because Barry Bonds is using supplements and technology in a watered down pitching league, is he really better than the Babe?
    Not to mention Babe's pitching prowess, I doubt Barry could strike anyone out by taking a turn on the mound.

#29     Feb 22, 2003
  10. rs7

rs7

I really agree with what you say. And you are right about comparing Bonds to Ruth. Not objectively possible.

But clearly (to me) Jim Brown was a back that was the very best in his style (Walter Payton.....completely different for example..can't compare....Sweetness did not carry 6 defenders on his back into the end zone....Brown did it seemingly on a regular basis).

But the fact remains that records fall. Athletes get better through conditioning, effort, technology, whatever (breeding?). Even running has been affected by technology. But still, is there a limit to how fast someone can run? How high they can jump? Or how far?

What about Serena and Venus? What planet are they from?
    They could win in the men's circuit most likely. And this is not a Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs thing. I really think they (especially Serena) have the physical attributes to compete at a level that makes Chris Evert's level in her day into a different sport entirely.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds. I just know that the 4 minute mile was at one time an unbreakable barrier. Now virtually ALL mile runners, the laggards, break that mark at the top levels of competition. From no one being able to do it, to thousands in two generations is truly an amazing change of standards.

So while it is hard to imagine another basketball player being as great as MJ, it is equally hard to imagine it will never happen.

Just my $.02

Peace,
    :)rs7

PS....having said this....there was never any athlete, to me, that was more exciting to watch than Michael. With the possible exception of Willie Mays when I was a baby and he was in his twenties. He had the special something that set him well apart. Flair? Style? These things put together with incredible athletic ability are what makes stars into superstars. When Mays rounded first base on his way to second, you KNEW his hat was gonna fly off his head. A little thing that meant a lot to a 7 year old. So cool!!!! Ali's banter. Namath's swagger. The originals are great for the games. Then you get a Brian Bosworth, or a Roger Clemens, and you see how their "flair" actually detracts from their appeal.

I wish we got to see Bo Jackson develop into his potential. What a shame!!

#30     Feb 22, 2003