Mitt Romney's $102 million IRA; it takes someone special

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tmarket, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tmarket, the originator of this thread is long gone and on to his next site to troll. The pathetic thing is, he thinks he is creating outrage by exposing someone who shields his hard earned income from the IRS, which aint that difficult seeing as to how stupid they all are.

They (the democrats) can't even write a law which gets you, and if they could it wouldn't pass and they would never get another campaign contribution from the rich folks that support them.

It would be more interesting to analyze tmarkets mind and see just where logic went wrong. I wonder how much he had to pay in student loans to obliterate mathmatics from his mind.

Probably a lot less than I would have since I was educated before the Department of Education took over.

#31     Jul 4, 2012
  2. To believe that both sides of the aisle aren't equally culpable is the definition of cognitive dissonance. It's why I don't talk politics. Masturbation w/o the resulting payout.

#32     Jul 4, 2012
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I am sure that everything has been vetted by lawyers, tax attorneys, and even the IRS. This guy probably audited every year by the IRS. Private corporations, partnerships, political posts, and a net worth that would justify the IRS going after him.

And given that he's been politically active, I would bet they've been even more conservative.

Someone on another thread here (who claimed to be a tax attorney and seemed knowledgable) said that you can put shares of private companies into your IRA when they are worthless (startups, etc). As they increase in value, the IRA keeps all the gains.

#33     Jul 4, 2012
  4. It is a core constituency of his ... clearly. My point is if it appears that he played fast and loose to accumulate $102,000,000 in an IRA and there is a Swiss/Cayman component enough of those voters can be pulled to tip a close election -- think Ohio.

When you say something naive like "Romney's got the white working class vote locked down" it just makes it clear that you don't recognize that in a swing state -- again, think Ohio -- you don't know the difference between locking that vote down 67/33 rather than 65/35.

Both are a lock down. One sends you to the White House and the other sends you back to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Sharpen up your game before you talk about electoral politics. It is, in a close election, a game of perceptions and frequently a game of 20,000 votes on the swing. Not about what you do on January 20, 2013.

#34     Jul 4, 2012
  5. And that's why you're my favorite dem pollster! (JK)

#35     Jul 4, 2012
  6. No, I don't have a Roth because I'm not a sucker who thinks that Congress in 2030 will honor the commitments made by Congress in the 1990's to keep the distributions tax-free.

The difference with Roth is that the contributions are post-tax, so OBVIOUSLY the limits are going to be more strictly enforced.

I don't mean to be rude, but, come on, can someone please say something sensible?

#36     Jul 4, 2012
  7. Yeah, and my point is that those guys are more worried about their next paycheck vs. where Romney got his $100M. Hell, in 5 years Obama will be worth more than Romney from speaking fees alone, so if the decision is between "rich guy who already made his money" and "rich guy who will make his money after he either loses or leaves office after a 2nd term", I'm not sure that makes an iota of difference.

And yes, 20K votes can swing a state. Duh. The entire article I linked was about marginal differences in either non-white or white turnout in the election. Do we need to have block-by-block voter registration data for Ohio before we can give an opinion now? In that case, I hear the Smith family in Dublin, OH was leaning Obama but now that the family patriarch Joe Smith lost his job as a VP of Operations for Cardinal Health as a result of Obamacare, he might be leaning Romney, and it's a well-known fact that Joe Smith has influenced 5 of his neighbors to vote his way in 4 of the last 6 Presidential elections, so clearly my info is more up-to-date than yours. Sheesh.

#37     Jul 4, 2012
  8. the unfortunate thing atticus is, you still beleive there is such a thing as "both sides of the aisle."

#38     Jul 4, 2012
  9. Locked down has no meaning. No one suggested Obama can win the white male blue collar vote but I think the Dems can cast doubt upon Romney's support for the working man and pull enough of those votes to have a real shot at Ohio.

#39     Jul 4, 2012
  10. you know, over in Ireland you can bet on these things, and then this discussion would have some real relevance.

#40     Jul 4, 2012