Mitt Romney’s vice presidential search has started

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Apr 16, 2012.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mitt-romney-vice-president-search-already-started-150636198.html

Mitt Romney’s vice presidential search has already started

Mitt Romney isn't wasting any time looking for a GOP running mate.

The presumptive Republican nominee tells ABC News' Diane Sawyer that he's appointed Beth Myers, one of his closest advisers, to oversee the vetting process for his vice presidential running mate.

"I have selected someone who has been a counselor of mine for a number of years, Beth Myers," Romney told Sawyer in an interview set to air on ABC's "World News" and "Nightline." "She was my chief of staff when I was governor. I've asked her to be the person who oversees the process of the vice presidential selection and vetting an analysis, and so she's begun that process and is putting together the kinds of things you need to do to vet potential candidates."

Myers, who previously managed Romney's 2008 Republican presidential bid, is one of the former governor's longest serving advisers and is personally close to the candidate and his wife, Ann, who is also expected to play a pivotal role in helping Romney choose a No. 2 to join the GOP ticket.

Ann Romney told ABC News that last weekend was the first time the family had "seriously really talked about" a vice presidential running mate.

"This is a time when we realize it's very important, and it's time to think about it," she said, adding, "there are some wonderful people out there."

Mitt Romney praised at least one of the rumored VP contenders—Florida Sen. Marco Rubio—but insisted it is "way too early" to say if he or anyone else is on his shortlist.

But it is apparently not too early for Romney's campaign to offer top donors access to his potential inauguration.

As BuzzFeed's Ben Smith first reported, a fundraising email sent to top Romney supporters is giving donors of $50,000 or more the opportunity to attend a private retreat with Romney in California, special access to the candidate at the Republican National Convention in August, and "preferred status at the first Presidential Inaugural retreat."

A Romney spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

2. OH MY DEAR GOD, It's deja vu all over again. If he picks Rice, he's done. And Santorum is still a consideration? Does this party of idiots ever want to sit in the White House again?

A new CNN/ORC International poll asked Republicans and Republican-leaning independents to pick from eight names Romney might be considering. At the top of the list: former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who attracted 26 percent support. In second place was Rick Santorum, Romney's former GOP rival, with 21 percent.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rice-christie-rubio-top-vp-polls-rubio-insists-172259318.html

3. Max E.

Max E.

Did Rubio just let the cat out of the bag?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iWgYINYVtSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. I would rather see Christie. Rubio is too slick. Romney needs a rougher edged, straight shooter like Christie to offset his milk toast image.

5. I think PSPR , or Luke , or 737 would make very competent Vice Presidents. They should go for it.

6. I'm relatively confident Romney is not that stupid. Republican primary voters, maybe not.

Rice would allow Obama to run against Bush again. She's never run for any office. We have no idea what her thoughts are on any current issue. Plus, she wasn't very good at her jobs in the Bush administration, at least judging from the series of disasters.

Santorum would similarly allow Obama to keep the bogus "war on women" scam going. He is just the sort of tone deaf one issue candidate who turns independents and women off. He has a history of doing what big labor tells him as well and he is soft on immigration. Plus, he failed to carry his own state in his last election.

7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Rubio seems young and inexperienced. Too careful, too tenative.

Condi Rice? Hmm, I'll have to think about that one. She is awfuly closely associated with George Bush. The Bush Derangement crowd would go insane.

Christie? I sure like that idea but can't see him accepting the job. Nobody really wants to be the Veep, its a thankless job if a job at all.

8. Tom B

Tom B

They all would be 1000 times better than Joe 'Plugs' Biden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]