Mitt Romney won't rule out the possibility of a VAT Tax

Discussion in 'Politics' started by achilles28, Jan 5, 2012.

1. BSAM

BSAM

I understand your reasoning, but it's just not that simple these days.

These "elected officials" are not doing the will of the people.

Let's rearrange the equation by implementing a balanced budget amendment, term limits (including for the Supreme Court), and true tax overhaul.
    Let's throw in the death penalty for certain levels of government corruption.
    Then, let's see if the results of our "democracy" are different.
    I think they would be.

#51     Jan 5, 2012
  2. I have no problem with that... Isn't it the American people who are supposed to get all this accomplished? And, if they're not getting it done, they must be happy with the status quo, which brings us back to the original problem.

#52     Jan 5, 2012
  3. Then we need to throw them all out. We only have ourselves to blame for re-electing the same old career politicians over and over again. People deserve what they elect and put up with.

#53     Jan 5, 2012
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Democracy ceased to function in the USA when the welfare masses realized they can vote themselves money from the working class.

Its all downhill from here. It really doesn't matter what we want as individuals because collectively we are unable to select candidates that would reverse the trend.

The distinctions between Barrack Obama and Mitt Romney are imperceptible. They are just about the same guy so far as our future is concerned.

Some offer Ron Paul as an alternative as if he would do anything different. Not likely.

We're on the path of the Roman Empire. Cut defense spending so that we can finance more bread and circuses for the masses.

#54     Jan 5, 2012
  5. Ricter

Ricter

What makes you think the Romans cut defense spending? I have not heard that before.

#55     Jan 5, 2012
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

They decommissioned the legions and started to pay the Visigoths (410 BC) and other mercenaries to defend the city on the cheap. Eventually they stopped paying the Visigoths who promptly sacked the city.

#56     Jan 5, 2012
  7. Ricter

Ricter

Ahh yes, but my understanding is that the mercenaries were actually more expensive. Yeah, the Empire was running out of money to pay its citizen soldiers. I guess that qualifies as cutting in a sense. : D

#57     Jan 5, 2012
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

They started out working for cheap wages but kept increasing their demands. Kind of like my plumber.

#58     Jan 5, 2012
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Yeah, labor is doing that everywhere. By the way, I just noticed 410 "BC". : D

#59     Jan 5, 2012
  10. Some truth, yes. Comparisons between the Roman Empire have been going on forever. One of my early college thesis was focused on that, and the books describing such.

Over the last few decades, these arguments have fallen somewhat short when used for political gain. Too many other variables involved. Technology certainly did help the R.E. as it is doing with us these days. Work days were shortened, but only shortened for the very few. Taxes had an influence, but again, only for the few who prospered.

The fear of riots in the streets, ala the Visigoths, is doubtful in my opinion. Primarily due to education, sometimes lack therof however, but also due to the instant and complete communication we all enjoy today. Take away all the media, then maybe a repeat, but I don't see that happening.

c

#60     Jan 5, 2012