Mitt Romney Tax Returns Released: Paid Just 13.9% Rate In 2010, Had Swiss Bank Accoun

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jan 24, 2012.

1. shocking revelations from Mitten's tax return:

1. He's a rich guy.
    2. He paid the taxes due under the current code.
    3. He gave away a lot of his income to charity.
    4. "Secret" bank accounts all over the place-ohh, wait since he disclosed them, how can they be secret?

Biggest shock: somebody paid to hear him make a speech

[​IMG]

Seneca

#41     Jan 24, 2012
  2. Glad we agree on this. Workfare instead of welfare. And private giving, when adequate, is the way to go. If the gov't has to get involved, then at least require something back, like work.

c

#42     Jan 24, 2012
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

NO, and I don't even like Romney.

#43     Jan 24, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

#44     Jan 24, 2012
  5. Imo they try to make others follow their religious beliefs through governance ,abortion for example

Also the number of religious politician hypocrites.Yeah democrats are scumbags,but they don't run on religious values

#45     Jan 24, 2012
  6. Epic

Epic

Staying on the same topic of how charitable giving to an organized religion reduces the need for a high tax rate....

According to U.S. Bureau of Census data released April 2000, because of the high proportion of Latter-day Saints and the Church's own comprehensive welfare system, Utah spends much less of its budget on public welfare than the other states. "On average, other states spend 22.4 percent of their budgets on public welfare; Utah spends 14 percent." Utah also has the lowest child poverty rate in the county.

I know that many GOP voters have a Mormon-phobia, but the Mormon stats really demonstrate the core party philosophy very well.

#46     Jan 24, 2012
  7. Epic

Epic

+1, the tax protection of offshore investments and bank accounts is a thing of the past. The US government has pretty much forced every legitimate tax haven into full financial disclosure, and all global income is taxed at regular rates for American citizens. I would think that people on ET would know that.

#47     Jan 24, 2012
  8. Max E.

Max E.

To be quite honest i think that this is part of the reason Romney is basically snookered right now. He doesnt want to make a big deal out of how much he donated to the mormon church, because evangelicals who dont like mormonism will probably be scared about the vast amount of funds which could flow to the mormon church if Romney should succeed. So Romney is in a no win situation, he either takes his shots from the left over his taxes, or else takes his shots from evangelicals over his donations to the mormon church.

#48     Jan 24, 2012
  9. Max E.

Max E.

I dont agree with the pro life, OR the anti gay marriage stance of the church, but it doesnt change the fact that most of them are doing far more good than bad.

As it pertains to the hypocrites in the republican party who preach religious values, i fully agree, that they, on top of almost all politicians are scumbags, regardless of what side they are on.

Generally speaking Republican politicians tow the religious values line for one reason, and that is to gain votes, it is clear in my eyes that anyone who is "pro life" who is also "pro war" is completely full of shit.

Most Politicians these days, are basically the lowest form of life, in my eyes, its the old "do as I say not as I do" bullshit that has been going on for the last couple decades as evidenced by both the republican and the democratic party. These guys care about one thing for the most part, and that is getting elected, no matter who they have to pander to.

Libertarians are pissed off, and rightfully so.... Its because both parties have put themselves into a nice little box, where you have to tow the line perfectly and you can no longer be elected as a fiscal conservative, with liberal social values.

#49     Jan 24, 2012
  10. Good point about the 10% tithing going to the church. Of course, the Mormons are one of the richest based on per capita. Now, would most Americans prefer to give to their church or the federal government? A tax deduction of course doesn't cover too much of the donation. I would like to think, as mentioned above by another poster, get past the extra religious stuff, and think of church as more of a community working together would be a good way to go.

c

#50     Jan 24, 2012