Mitt Romney Tax Returns Released: Paid Just 13.9% Rate In 2010, Had Swiss Bank Accoun

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Epic

Epic

All things considered in the above post, my personal opinion is that we need to be a bit careful with regard to the idea that elected officials are there simply to represent the will of the people.

It could be argued that the legislative branch is there to simply represent the will of the people and draft bills accordingly, but that executive branch is their to consider the will of the people, but govern according to what is deemed to be in the best interests of the people. Even though such actions might not always be popular.

#111     Jan 25, 2012
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

#112     Jan 25, 2012
  3. Maybe IQ47 and his ilk should pitch tents and occupy your back yard :p

#113     Jan 25, 2012
  4. That's a cop out. Calling it "reality" would seem to provide an excuse for the dishonesty. There is no excuse for our elected officials to employ dishonest tactics in order to win votes.

The average voter does not have the necessary contact with their representative(s) to get them to push a particular agenda. All the average voter can rely on is what the politician says they are going to do, hence the problem. Politicians like Romney believe in pandering to voters and that, in effect, is false advertising. It is no small wonder less than half the country votes....no one likes being lied to.

Lobbyists have the access and the dollars to get politicians to forget what they promised their constituency....they are the ones who want their particular agenda pushed...and they are very very effective at getting their way.

#114     Jan 25, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Oh if only they would...

:D

#115     Jan 25, 2012
  6. BSAM

BSAM

I don't vote.
    I'm never voting again in my life.
    I say this very proudly.
    Your vote doesn't matter.
    I won't play the game anymore.

#116     Jan 25, 2012
  7. I think the word "Constitution" figures in there somewhere.

#117     Jan 25, 2012
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmm...
    I wonder why they are called Representatives???
    Duh...

#118     Jan 25, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

It's just a hold over from a couple hundred years ago.

It IS time for a new more accurate name though.

#119     Jan 25, 2012
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Dictators?

#120     Jan 25, 2012