Mitt Romney should release his tax returns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

*Shrug* Every "should have used better judgement" loan has two parties to it, not just the borrower, or lender.

#51     Jul 16, 2012
  2. The lame birthers went on for years about releasing stuff. Even the lame righties who want to see his college transcripts. Don't recall ever being asked for either when asking for a loan or a financial transaction, but they all ask for tax returns.

#52     Jul 16, 2012
  3. Mav88

Mav88

yes being president is exactly the same as applying for a home loan. now get back to your coloring book and leave the adults alone

#53     Jul 16, 2012
  4. From today

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-romney-tax-returns_n_1681001.html?ref=topbar

Rick Perry: Mitt Romney Should Release More Tax Returns

07/17/12 05:03 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas Gov. Rick Perry is calling on fellow Republican and former rival Mitt Romney to release his tax returns.

Perry said anyone running for office should make public as much personal information as possible to help voters decide.

Perry has released his tax returns dating to 1992.

Romney has come under increasing pressure from Democrats and Republicans to release more than the two years of returns he has promised to make public. He has released his 2010 return and has said he'll release the 2011 when it's completed later this year.

Romney has said releasing additional information will only lead to more attacks from President Barack Obama's campaign.

Perry challenged Romney for the GOP presidential nomination. He has endorsed Romney and recently campaigned for him in Nevada.

#54     Jul 17, 2012
  5. And asking for birth certificate a hundred times after it's been shown is somehow smart? Maybe it's just reading skills you lack.

For adults, the obvious difference between asking someone for a tax return, or a school grade sheet is quite different.

You guys have to know that this is a losing battle. Just get it over with Romney, or you'll never have enough time to prepare your script for the debates with Obama. Where the loss will help prepare for the big defeat in November.

#55     Jul 17, 2012
  6. Even double digit IQ Parry has enough sense to tell Romney to turn them over. But not the guys here I guess.

#56     Jul 17, 2012
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Did Obama release his tax returns? Is it traditional for candidates to release their tax returns? If so, then Romney should release his tax returns. Its not like there is anybody in the country that doesn't already know he is rich and keeps some assets offshore.

#57     Jul 17, 2012
  8. I think Obama released 12 years.Bush released around 8-10 years I think.Kerry released multiple years.

McCain only released 2 years but Obama never made it an issue which makes me wonder whats really going on.If Romney releases more tax returns and it shows he paid 15 % and had money offshore it hurts Obama after all that build up and nothing being there that isn't already known.Is Romney letting Obama build it up as much as he can so he can do that ?

For Obama to make a big issue out of this with Romney but not McCain who has a rich wife and some possible shady deals makes me think The Obama team knows whats on Mitts returns and its worse then the one he released.Obama might have a mole in The IRS or Somebody from the McCain campaign could have leaked Romneys taxes to Obama.If Obama has them and something is bad on them will Obama wait a week before the election to leak them to the media ?What if McCains team leaked a fake copy of romneys taxes and not the real thing and it blows up in Obamas face ?

I hope all that made sense I'm about 80 % drunk

#58     Jul 17, 2012
  9. Mercor

Mercor

We have a Department of Treasury, the Internal revenue Service and the Department of Justice to make sure people pay their taxes.

Someone like Mitt has probably been audited every year by the IRS.
    Mitt's taxes run 1000's of pages.
    If Obama wants to see those taxes because his Justice dept is messed up I would agree.
    How can it be that pundits and people like AK47 will find issues with Mitts taxes when the whole Government is happy with them.

#59     Jul 17, 2012
  10. Ricter

Ricter

Did Mitt Romney Take the 2009 Swiss Bank Account Amnesty?

By Matthew Yglesias
    Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2012, at 3:12 PM ET

"When attempting to engage in baseless speculation over what it is that's in Mitt Romney's tax statements that's so embarrassing he'd rather take the heat for non-disclosure, I think it's important to remember that he was actively running for president in 2007 and 2008. That means it's relatively unlike he was doing anything during those years that he thought couldn't withstand scrutiny. So why not release a nice even five years of tax data? Perhaps because of something that happened in 2009.

"Something like this:

' Wealthy U.S. taxpayers, concerned about an Internal Revenue Service crackdown on the use of secret overseas bank accounts as tax havens, are rushing to meet a Thursday deadline to disclose those accounts or face possible criminal prosecution. The concern was triggered this summer when Switzerland's largest bank, caught up in an international tax evasion dispute, said it would disclose the names of more than 4,000 of its U.S. account holders.'

' The decision shattered a long-held belief that Swiss banks would guard the identities of its American customers as carefully as they did their money, and it raised concern that other international tax havens might be next. Under an amnesty program, the IRS is allowing taxpayers to avoid prosecution for having failed to report their overseas accounts. As a result, tax attorneys across the nation have been besieged by wealthy clients who are lining up to apply even though they will still face big financial penalties.'

"Romney might well have thought in 2007 and 2008 that there was nothing to fear about a non-disclosed offshore account he'd set up years earlier precisely because it wasn't disclosed. But then came the settlement and the rush of non-disclosers to apply for the amnesty. Failing to apply for the amnesty and then getting charged by the IRS would have been both financially and politically disastrous. So amnesty it was. But even though the amnesty would eliminate any legal or financial liability for past acts, it would hardly eliminate political liability."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox.html

#60     Jul 17, 2012