Mitt Romney Says, "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt"...

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by gnome, Nov 19, 2008.

1. da-net

da-net

You might want to try and convince the state of Alabama of that argument...they fought hard with lots of tax concessions to get a foreign car manufacturing facility....they were thinking there would be thousands of jobs created....BUT

when the plant was completed and started operations it had a full staff @ about 100 people....most of the plant was automated....so the jobs never appeared...but the state lost in many ways...tax concessions...less than expected employment...low wage employment for those that got jobs...lower payroll tax revenue...etc...etc

then consider that the cars being sold by foregin owned companies are not using any where near the amount of domestically produced parts of american suppliers...so those american supplier companies lose and cut payroll or cease operations...then that ripples to the next company that supplies raw materials and on and on....where does it end?

is letting the big three die and cease operations a good idea for america ....i don't think so...nor do i think just handing them money is a good idea as that has already been tried with bankers and look how much good is coming of that..

there needs to be a different idea and it does not include the government trying to run the automakers...look how poorly run the government is...throwing money at a problem never solves anything

#11     Nov 19, 2008
  2. Romney is a partisan hack douchebag...
    His mormon underwear is on too tight, the racist Ken doll...

BTW, he is right. They should go BK...but he would never have said that during his campaign because he's such a hack...

#12     Nov 19, 2008
  3. eagle

eagle

I wanted him to win the nomination but sadly his flip-flop cost him the nomination and perhaps the White House.

#13     Nov 19, 2008
  4. The bottom line here is....

China is going to offer appealing vehicles for $18,000....

Agreed...the US needs a manufacturing base.....

Now....Detroit can make a $18,000 car.......now just define what has to take place to do this.....

And this is not just a Detroit auto issue......

This is an across the board issue.....

Just how is the US going to establish a competitive manufacturing base......????

Transformation....one way or the other is going to happen.....

Structural change is obviously the solution.....

This means an about face on lower prices and efficiency.....

#14     Nov 19, 2008
  5. wendit

wendit

Good bye UAW = problem solved

#15     Nov 19, 2008
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I think he is.

I saw a couple of economist interviewed recently. They were of the opinion that NO
    company/entity was "too big to fail".

I agree.

#16     Nov 19, 2008
  7. I wouldn't necessarily be against a bailout if I saw any light at the end of the tunnel, but detroit automakers couldn't make money in good times. I honestly wouldn't know what they should be doing differently. People say they are too reliant on SUVs and trucks, but those were the only vehicles they could make any money on.

Definitely the union issue is a big problem, but there is zero chance the democrats are going to sign on for a bailout plan that gets rid of their prime fundraisers. Brandon is right that socialized medicine would be a huge help to them, if they could ditch their healthcare obligations. At this point however, it may be too little, too late.

The sad fact is they are only reflective of US manufacturing in general. It has declined precipitously. It's not just detroit. Other than airliners, for now, name one product that is manufactured here. We are becoming either a post-industrial economy or a banana republic, third world economy.

#17     Nov 19, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Been recognized for a long time... which is why we've turned to "financial engineering" as an economic way of life... And now we're finally catching on.... we can't "borrow and spend our way to prosperity"...

#18     Nov 19, 2008
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Which is why the politicians want a bailout.
    VOTES!

#19     Nov 19, 2008
  10. romney is the ultimate wet thumb in the air

i'm not saying he's wrong on this one, i'm just saying that i would never trust this guy

in 1994, he ran against ted k, and was to the left of ted

his promise today will mean nothing if he gets a better offer tomorrow

he's bad, even for a politician

#20     Nov 19, 2008