Mitt Romney 2008 - What can happen?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BosyBillups, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Sadly enough I've said the same thing. Unfortunate that people don't get informed enough to vote on the issues.

Fortunately, I do think Mitt is capable of doing a good job, although he likely won't get my vote.

#21     Dec 7, 2007
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

The Bush family was in cahoots with the nazis, and that facts didn't stop 12 years of Bush presidency....

#22     Dec 7, 2007
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I dunno. Have you ever watched The girl next door on E!? That is basicly poligamy, and pretty glorified... :p

#23     Dec 7, 2007
  4. Polyandry..... but I see your point.

Anyway, I can't imagine how incredibly difficult it would be to have numerous wives, in the real world.

#24     Dec 7, 2007
  5. Good point!

#25     Dec 7, 2007
  6. i'm seriously not trying to press the idea, but a few of you have your dates skewed. we're talking about his great grandfather's 5 wives, a relative that he probably knew personally. not vikings. not slaves.

as far as the women's vote, i think having a relative that serially subjugated women even for years after it became illegal is a tough sell

not that i like ANY of the other 'leading' candidates better... giuliani's dad served time at sing sing, bush's grandfather knowingly collaborated with nazis.. hillary & whitewater, etc etc

#26     Dec 7, 2007
  7. Gee Jay, how about something a little more recent. Lets bring up that little foopah where over 200 hundred Mormons each shot a whole wagon train of immigrants from Missouri (?) in the head at point blank range. Then how these so called righteous Mormons ransomed the surviving children to their family's back home.
    Lets talk about how out of the 200 murderers, only one was ever brought to count for that massacre, and that was 20 years after the fact.

As far as the Mormons conveniently changing their view on polygamy, you can thank the US government for sending the word of god to their, at that time, prophet.

#27     Dec 7, 2007
  8. Dude, it is really a non-issue.

My wife's ancestor was of Mitt's great-grandfather's generation and also had 4 wives. The only side-effect of his 4 wives is that there are a few more people in the area with the same last name. Other than that, polygamy plays absolutely no role in our lives. The same is true for Mitt.

I don't have any more involvement in polygamy than you do. If people did a little background check, I think many Americans would come to find out that they aren't that far removed from polygamist ancestors.

Secondly, it is your assumption that by taking multiple wives he was subjugating women. Because your upbringing tells you that polygamy subjugates women. In reality, you have no idea how he personally treated any of his wives. You also have no idea as to whether the wives chose the situation. Personally I would rather see one man lovingly care for 15 wives, than another man abuse his one and only wife.

Your opinion is based on stereotype and prejudice.

#28     Dec 7, 2007
  9. Both of your points are sort of pointless.

The Inquisition doesn't really have anything to do with my catholic friends. So it isn't fair to hold it against them. But it also isn't even on the same playing field as the Mt. Meadows Massacre.

The Inquisition lasted 350 years and resulted in 3-5,000 deaths and tens of thousands who were tortured, and was supported by a large portion of the church leaders as a way to get rid of herecy. And how many of the participants were brought to trial?

The Mt. Meadows incident was a single act of indiscretion by a group of remote mormons who had got themselves all worked up over the idea that an army was coming out to destroy them. Around 100 people died. Sure it was tragic, but it doesn't compare to the Inquisition. That's like comparing the Bay of Pigs to the American Civil War. Both tragic but not at all comparable.

#29     Dec 7, 2007
  10. The official statement is that the prophet saw the secular annihilation of the church if polygamy were to continue. The only thing mormons can thank the U.S. government for is driving them from state to state, torturing them, siezing their property, and finally only backing off when they settled in a desert that nobody else really wanted.

#30     Dec 7, 2007