Mitch McConnell is a f***ing Tool

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Jul 13, 2011.

1. Max E.

Max E.

WTF kind of bullshit is this? I am becoming a bigger and bigger believer by the day, that all these assholes are in cohoots with each other to see how badly they can fuck us up the ass. Real good idea, lets give the power to raise the debt ceiling to the guy who will be responsible for running up the largest share of the debt after just 3 years.....I am sure Obama will be responsible with his new found power, if we just give him a chance.

How could one possibly come to the conclusion that these guys arent intentionally screwing us, when yesterday i read an article about the DOJ suing banks to give mortgages to people with bad credit right after the worst housing collapse in history, and today im hearing about a story to give all power for the debt ceiling to the president.

How the hell could any rational person come to the conclusion that these 2 ideas are good for the country?

If this goes through i will never vote for a Republican again.

McConnell fallback plan would leave debt-ceiling hikes to Obama

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Tuesday laid out a plan to avoid a national default and put responsibility for increasing the debt limit squarely on President Obama.

McConnell’s proposal would authorize Obama to raise the debt ceiling in three steps, and would not require any corresponding spending cuts.

The proposal met immediate, fierce criticism from grassroots conservatives, who are furious at the lack of firm spending cuts, but House GOP leaders and the White House held their fire.

Under the legislation, Congress could only block Obama’s requests by passing resolutions of disapproval, which would have to be supported by two-thirds of both the Senate and House to overcome an expected presidential veto.

McConnell described his proposal as a “last choice option” to avoid a national default if Congress fails to reach a compromise to raise the debt limit by Aug. 2.

“It’s extremely important that the country reassure the markets that default is not an option and reassure Social Security recipients and families of military veterans that default is not an option,” McConnell said.

The proposal was briefly discussed at a White House meeting on Tuesday. Obama and congressional leaders are scheduled to meet again Wednesday afternoon.

McConnell’s plan would benefit Republicans politically by placing the responsibility for raising the debt limit almost entirely with Obama. It would allow Republicans in both chambers to vote en masse against it without causing a national economic catastrophe.

It could also hurt Senate Democrats by forcing them to support several hikes to the debt ceiling ahead of an election in which they must defend 23 seats, though Republicans expect centrist Democrats would be able to vote against the requests, given the high threshold for overriding a veto.

The problem with McConnell’s plan for Republicans is the prospect of a conservative backlash because it would allow Obama to raise the debt ceiling without having to agree to deep spending cuts.

In a possible sign of trouble to come, members of the Senate Tea Party Caucus left a GOP lunch early on Tuesday where McConnell presented his proposal, and declined to comment on the plan.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...k-plan-that-leaves-debt-ceiling-hike-to-obama

2. bone

bone

I thought the same thing at first blush, but after reading about it in detail my conclusion is now wavering towards the possibility that it might very well be very smart and very schrewd political maneuvering. There are about 30 Dems representing moderate to slightly conservative districts who will make the veto issue untenable for Obama.

Obama is only offering up $20B of real cuts, and he is actually asking for increases for entitlement spending and his 'green' programs. What's more, Obama wants to postpone cuts until 2019.

McConnell realizes that Obama will not act in good faith, that Obama in fact has no plan, and that ultimately the best course of action may be to hand him the rope for which to hang himself by his own hand.

3. Ricter

Ricter

House GOP leaders have to "hold their fire", because now that they've spent time with the devil in the details, they realize they are between a rock and a hard place. The Tea Party fruitcakes on one side, and default on the other. Why do you think they are backing up and looking for a third way out? Their position was stupid to begin with.

4. Max E.

Max E.

Yeah, and if the American public is stupid enough to vote Obama in to a second term, then we get 5 more years of unbridled spending the second that bill passes.

5. Max E.

Max E.

Their position to cut spending when we are running 1.6 trillion dollar deficits was stupid? Are you serious?

If they cant even come up with a couple hundred billion dollars a year to cut from the budget when we are running a 1.6 trillion dollar budget deficit, then its all over anyways, we may as well just default now and get it over with. If Obama wont even agree to 200 billion dollars a year in spending cuts, then it is his fault when we default, 200 billion is a drop in the bucket right now.

What the republicans should do is pass a bunch of bills with spending cuts in them, with a corresponding amount of debt ceiling increase, so 2 trillion cut gets 2 trillion increase, etc.... then they can say they passed the bills, and left the ball in Obamas court, and he wouldnt go along with any of it, then Obama and the dems have full power over whether or not we default.

6. Larson

Larson Guest

Anger rises in the hinterlands as Nero fiddles with the nation and the Roman Senate continues on the road to perdition.

7. bone

bone

You folks never gave the Tea Party it's due - and it cost you an election, and elections have consequences. If the Tea Party's actions cause that result to get reversed in Nov. 2012, then you can have your due.

Having complete control of all three branches of government for 2-1/2 years did not get the tax code or the tax rates resolved to your satisfaction - why ?

8. Ricter

Ricter

I give them their due, this is a democracy, more or less, and the strident can still have untoward influence.

Re your question, I say it's because Obama keeps trying to play nice with the insane. I am beginning to damn him for this.

9. Max E.

Max E.

You mind telling me what part about cutting 200 billion dollars a year off a 1.6 trillion dollar deficit is insane?

10. Initially, I thought he was giving them the benefit of the doubt and holding true to his promise of working together. Now, I keep hoping that he recognizes the crazies for what they are, and is just furnishing them with more rope. But how much more rope could they possibly need at this point?

#10     Jul 13, 2011