MIT: If you're family earns less than 75k per annum, tuition is free

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Lib, you know I respect you, but the problem lies in the assymetry of the solution. While opening up courses at MIT, etc... to anyone on the internet is great, and certainly promotes a true meritocracy, those students in the USA are subsidizing the rest of the world who can simply leapfrog over them by avoiding the extreme fixed costs.

We see this to some extent with foreign health care professionals who can enter the US health system and earn similar salaries without having to pay back the massive student loan debt of americans. The kicker, of course, is how the system has come to depend upon them. Once exchange rates become less favorable, or salaries do not offer any competitive advantage over their own country, there is no question that they will simply pack up & leave, leaving the american taxpayer who paid much of their salary, underserved.

This has not been well thought out. Too assymetric.

#11     Mar 9, 2008
  2. Nattdog

Nattdog

Yes, isn't it wonderful that the ability to pay is being removed as a criteria, and middle class families are now getting more of a free ride than they used to. The reality is the families that recieved prefered admissions historically, by their wealth and patronage, are the ones that built these elite institutions to what they are today. They are the reason for the outragous endowments and world class facilities. Now that they are no longer needed, the liberals are only two eager to begin turning their backs. After all, they must make room for the underqualified special needs candidates who will be lifted above their ability/class, and forever be resentful as a result.

#12     Mar 9, 2008
  3. loik

loik

Education is not only theory, students don`t sit in front of a computers all day.

#13     Mar 9, 2008
  4. DrSteph wrote....

Lib, you know I respect you, but the problem lies in the assymetry of the solution. While opening up courses at MIT, etc... to anyone on the internet is great, and certainly promotes a true meritocracy, those students in the USA are subsidizing the rest of the world who can simply leapfrog over them by avoiding the extreme fixed costs.

We see this to some extent with foreign health care professionals who can enter the US health system and earn similar salaries without having to pay back the massive student loan debt of americans. The kicker, of course, is how the system has come to depend upon them. Once exchange rates become less favorable, or salaries do not offer any competitive advantage over their own country, there is no question that they will simply pack up & leave, leaving the american taxpayer who paid much of their salary, underserved.

This has not been well thought out. Too assymetric.

...................................................................................................

Yes I know.....but one has to start somewhere....

Just look at the number of Divorcees with smart kids that are barely able to stay in their homes....You know this list just gets longer and longer.....

My view is that one needs to make the required changes to better the situation....

I just cannot accept a lessor outcome....particularly for those who are innocent....such as in medicine and education....

Unless the financial aspects do not dramatically change....then the outcome is a lose lose.....

I want to see a win win....and betterment at the end of the day....

This is not to the left....the right.....center.....this is just where it is ....and provision of the means to effect actual and real betterment at the end of the day....
    ...........................................................................................

And this model does not tax the previous builders of MIT...this only enhances their franchise.....which they will continue as long as they are the most competitive....

US Companies need to be run by the most qualified....not the most fraternal....

This latest action indicates that they are already going in this direction by default....

Why let lessor names make headway on the internet ? They already know that this is the future.....

Just imagine the MIT name making available quality internet based education....There would not be a single family that would not be interested in this....

#14     Mar 9, 2008
  5. Good for them.

#15     Mar 9, 2008
  6. I don't object that the information is being made available over the internet. I object that it is being made available for FREE to non-us nationals. While this might not seem consequential, remember that the US system is very credentials-based. Therefore, this action undermines the system & those young people who are forced to go through it. Schumpterian, clearly, but hurts like hell if it happens to you since we KNOW there ain't gonna be no debt relief.

However, if I were a young person, entrepreneureal and with limited resources in the states, I would be enrolled in some community college but spend my time learning this real information.

#16     Mar 9, 2008
  7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I swear to Christ you just can't do anything in the world to make some people happy and realize how lucky they are. Two years ago everyone was complaining that an elite education was beyond the grasp of the average middle class kid. Now elite schools such as Yale, MIT, Stanford, Harvard and Possibly Dartmouth are making such educations available....but you still fucking cry and moan!!!! Are you kidding me?

#17     Mar 9, 2008
  8. nitro

nitro

Every computer sci graduate that I know can get a job in this country right out of college for $60k/year, India or no India. I get forty calls a day.

You can study the culinary art at NW and pay $50k/year for tuition, or you can study it at some specialized college and pay a fraction of that tuition. My point is not that studying cooking is a bad thing, only that there is no reason to do so at NW or Harvard or Stanford or Princeton...

I have no problem with a general education that won't necessarily land you a job where you make tons of money. In fact, it is a terrible tragedy to worry solely about money from your job when you are deciding on your education path. You usually end up in a job you hate. My point is that a huge proportion of these people don't realize just how hard it is to pay off $250,000 on a $50k a year job.

nitro

#18     Mar 9, 2008
  9. Excellent Commentary All
    ........................................................................................

No .....what I am getting at is broad based distribution of the best information....and its impact to society as a whole....

I would like to see the most sought after heroes not to be football players and musicians....but brilliant minds that come up with the innovations.....

This is all part of a true economic strengthening process....and is simple....the more numbers that get the best information....the stronger and more competitive the mass will be.....

Also this would not be free....albeit not expensive....

The best information would be put forth in each category....and those that truly add beneficial knowledge would be acknowledged....

A lot of universities use the same material....and no...I do not believe in tenure....

And actually the financial take would increase not decrease....big numbers paying smaller amounts but being cumulatively higher is the standard Walmart game....

This is a simple process....and is being made possible because of the internet....Also there can be more focus on garnering information that is actually useful....thereby making time more precious versus floundering about the nonessential fluff....This could be garnered during play time.....

Thus the idea is simple....Is society better off by offering the best to the few....or offering the best to all who are willing.....

Is it the goal of education to purposefully pass by those who are not responsible for their own plight....or to forever shield the comfortable.....I think not....

#19     Mar 9, 2008
  10. The "poorest" students can attend for free. The "wealthiest" students could have their tuition tripled and their parents wouldn't object one bit.

#20     Mar 9, 2008