Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Banjo

Banjo

#51     Jun 3, 2019
  2. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

Jefferson Davis did not invent slavery. Hundreds of years before any European traders coming to Africa were offered slaves for their goods, slavery was an accepted social construction in Africa. Strong tribes took over weak tribes. Those in the weak tribes were slaves. By the time any Europeans arrived in Africa strong – weak – slave was an ingrained part of African society.

This social bond was so strong that it has only been in the last 15 years that legally slavery has been abolished in all African countries. However, while not sanctioned by law, the tradition is
    still widely practiced in Africa today.

A caveat to this universal concept of slavery in historic Africa is that yes slavery was very wide spread but it was practiced in a very humane manner. Boko Haram today suggests that this might not have always been the case.

An interesting observation is that slavery was more wide spread in Africa because when the concept was first being established (perhaps 10,000 years ago) there were many more people in Africa than elsewhere. Slavery is a way of absorbing a surplus population.

The North completely dominated The South in men and materials. Against insurmountable odds Jefferson Davis stood proud for his beliefs. He was willing to stand proud and fight for his home, family, land, customs, and traditions.

Jefferson Davis was a true hero unmatched by few in history.

The only people profiting from slavery today are those digging up graves and running around calling everyone racist.

#52     Jun 3, 2019
  3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Jefferson Davis was a piece of shit as are you.He should have been hanged and body dragged through the streets of Washington.

#53     Jun 3, 2019
    Nine_Ender, exGOPer and Cuddles like this.
  4. exGOPer

exGOPer

“Lawmakers in the Louisiana House on Sunday refused to set a minimum age to marry in the state, an idea that drew strong opposition from the chamber’s conservatives,” the AP reports.

#54     Jun 3, 2019
  5. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

I made a case for considering Jefferson Davis a true hero and was awaiting an intelligent response. Although I usually do not agree with what you have to say, your responses are well crafted. Had hoped that you might comment on Davis.

On Louisiana I have no real comment. Actually I appose but do respect their right as a State to set forth what their State deems right.

Would appreciate your comment on whether the legacy of Jefferson Davis should be diminished.

Also would appreciate your response to - "The only people profiting from slavery today are those digging up graves and running around calling everyone racist."

You are well informed and this is something I do respect.

#55     Jun 3, 2019
  6. userque

userque

The Constitution recognizes that enemies of The State can be foreign or domestic. The confederacy was an enemy of The State.

While Davis may be a personal hero of yours, neither the Confederacy, nor its organizers, deserve recognition on U.S. soil. It is silly that a sovereign nation would allow the honoring of enemy combatants on public land. I suspect these abnormalities will eventually be corrected.

#56     Jun 5, 2019
  7. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Jefferson Davis was a great man. I doubt any who negatively comment know his history. He at all times stood proud and ready to fight. (If only we had more like him today.) If any can offer a counter example I am ready to debate.

Own slaves? What are we to say about the Africans who owned slaves? What are we to say about that slavery was an accept social construction in all of Africa? Actually, slavery was an accepted social construct in many cultures. To be offended today is surreal.

I support the concept of States Rights. There is a problem in any system where the rights of a large groups is suppress by a larger group. If a group chooses to succeed, I believe it is their right to do so.

Consider - You buy a house in a subdivision. You later find that you do not enjoy staying in that subdivision, but by "law" are required to stay there. Wrong.

You are a member of a club. You find that the club is not what you thought. You try to leave but are told that by "law" you must stay. Wrong.

It goes on and on.

There is a difference in public land and federal land.

I am 100% certain you have no idea of the personal history of Jefferson Davis. If we only had more like him today. He was an outstanding individual.

Dear Black People - It is disappointing that the only thing you can find to channel your energy into is digging up the past of others. It is appreciated that you do not have a past that you can be that proud in but still.

Everyone is waiting for the Black Community to move on and channel their energy, like every other culture, into things that better their kind.

We are all waiting for you do something positive with your energy.

#57     Jun 6, 2019
  8. exGOPer

exGOPer

Just your typical Southern conservative

#58     Jun 15, 2019
  9. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

What kind of state doesn't lock up this Uncle for 20 years yet wants to lock up young women and their doctors who don't want to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term ? Even worse, how can they recommend this Uncle visit his "children" ?

When immoral people are allowed to run communities/states/countries, the negative outcomes can be so extreme. As I said before, Alabama just isn't a safe place for young girls and women to live. This example just reinforces that reality to a rather uncomfortable level.

#59     Jun 16, 2019
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

They should've let Sherman burn the whole south to the ground.

#60     Jun 16, 2019