Mission Accomplished - Obama Ends Jobs Council

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 31, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

LOL. The election is over, we don't need more jobs now. Right?

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama will let his jobs council expire this week without renewing its charter, winding down one source of input from the business community even as unemployment remains stubbornly high.

When Obama in January 2011 formed his Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, unemployment was hovering above 9 percent. Two years president later, more than 12 million people in the U.S. are out of work. The unemployment rate has improved to 7.8 percent, but both parties agree that's still too high.

A provision in Obama's executive order establishing the council says it sunsets on Thursday. A White House official said the president does not plan to extend it.

Officials said the president always intended for the council to fulfill its mission and then wind down, and said that Obama would continue to actively engage and seek input from business leaders about ways to accelerate job-creation and economic growth. Among the steps Obama plans to pursue are expedited permits for infrastructure projects, the White House said.

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2013/01/31/obamas-jobs-council-shutting-down-thursday

2. TGregg

TGregg

That's what we voted for. :(

3. You sure the collective "we" didn't vote for government hand outs over jobs??

:(

4. pspr

pspr

"Keep those unemployment bennys coming. I don't want to go back to work.", thought the Obama voter.

5. TGregg

TGregg

That's exactly what I meant. We voted for more government, more debt, more spending, more eating of the "rich".

6. JamesL

JamesL

7. pspr

pspr

8. What exquisite timing to close the Jobs Council. Right on the heels of the reports of the very best economic contraction we've seen, certainly better than any from the Bush admin!

9. Anybody with experience with carney's knows he's aptly named.

10. I'm pretty sure Obama never met with them.

#10     Jan 31, 2013