Mirus - Dorman or RCG

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by davewolfs, Aug 20, 2009.

1. you can't go wrong with either, but like this guy said, RCG has real time info if you need it -- with Dorman, you won't see updated account balance, trade info, etc, until about 8 or 9 pm pst.

#11     Aug 20, 2009
  2. I was about to say the same thing......

He should trade whatever suits him better in terms of general interest, knowledge. And it seems like hes interested in futures.

So to the person who said "forget futures, trade stocks".... let him make up his own mind !!
    What are you? his mother??

#12     Aug 20, 2009
  3. heech

heech

I just transferred my account out of Mirus/RCG. I also looked at Dorman.

I don't have a problem recommending Mirus for most people, as long as you're not looking to do anything "complicated". Ie, if you're scalping a few ES/YM contracts... go for it. Mirus is a much better than average firm in that regard. And RCG won't get in your way.

I don't fit in that profile for several reasons. I was trading physical commodities, and also had specialized pit requirements. Mirus didn't have much expertise in these products, and couldn't/wouldn't help me with finding workable solutions.

I will say that while I have some remaining warm feelings towards Mirus... I am extremely disappointed in RCG as a FCM. RCG has an appallingly ignorant risk management department. Also be very careful if you go with RCG directly as your IB, because their ehelp application people are simply incompetent. (By going through Mirus, you get their expertise with setting up ZenFire + R|Trader.)

I really wonder how RCG recruited for risk/ehelp, two rather critical departments. Picked these guys up in the parking lot of a Home Depot?

Oh, one last gripe. Now that I'm on Vision's futures platform... RCG's "passport" website is incredibly dated. Vision's platform looks much, much sharper, updates quickly, has daily statements going back months, etc, etc...

Again, if your trading is simple, you'll be fine with any of these choices. But anyone trading options, trading more than 6 digits, or trading more than the indexes should look around carefully. I'm not sure that Dorman is too much better in that capacity... they're a very risk-averse small shop (< $50m in customer funds last time I looked). I believe they're not even clearing members of the non-Chicago exchanges.

#13     Aug 21, 2009
  4. bathrobe

bathrobe

I use Dorman with Mirus and could not be happier. No problem's ever, my only gripe is with executing through Ninja. I like the charting but have had several freezes while in large positions or part of my order has been dropped and have had to flatten to exit rest which sends market order which I do not like. I am keeping my mirus acct. but will be transferring most capital to Infinity or a broker that supports X_Trader soon.

Any feedback on whether or not X_Trader is still worth the cost would be nice. TIA

#14     Aug 21, 2009
  5. That is actually nice said - it is RIDICULOUSLY outdated ;)

BUT: It gets the job done. Point ;)

#15     Aug 21, 2009
  6. You like the charts, I can't stand them. But I haven't had any problems with NT's ATM yet. Have you tried any other platforms such as dorman direct, onyx, cgq or x_trader?

#16     Aug 22, 2009