Minyanville, Todd Harrison - random thoughts...

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by DisciplinedHedg, Jun 11, 2003.

1. 1 time out of 5 I will find it somewhat amusing because of my mood at that time.

But 4 times out of 5 I find his non-market random thoughts completely lame - as if he's trying to be a comedian and intellectual at the same time, trying to come up with something funny and ingenious and proud of it.

It's usually because I like to focus my energy on the markets - after all, that's how I make my living. I'm not an overzealous trader, nor do I lack a sense of humor. But somehow, I just find his random thoughts really inane (I don't know how else to put it).

Are you guys out there rolling on the ground from his stuff or find yourself that much enlightened? Or if half-amused? It just doesn't strike me. Maybe its just me...

Kudos to the guy for his causes and being a "nice guy"...but I'm paying for the subscription. Thank goodness for all the other writers. I find him to be less than 10% useful on the site now that there are all the other contributing writers. As a trader, he's barely contributing anything useful it seems. Whens the market's romping he see's "alligators", when the markets selling off he reduces his exposure and says its "discipline." Frankly, that's not that useful nor insightful to me.

2. Totally agree. But John Succo could be great if he will get beyond the basics. I think a real flaw of toddo's site is not aiming it at hardcore traders. The hobbyist types he seems to be going for will not spend money for a subscription site. On the other hand, and this is a scary thought, maybe this is what they think is sophisticated.

3. Some of the current banter by Scott Reamer is definitely good stuff...I've also kinda skim thru Todd's stuff, as you guys have said..its pretty lame and not that insightful. I just take interest in what his current posture is.

BTW...I sure hope Fleck starts picking up the pace.

4. Bullet

Bullet

Toddo needs to get back to his trading roots and remember that trading is not adopting a bearish view for ever and only "renting" upside exposure for an occasional trade. Ya gotta trade them up when they are running and pound them down when they are heavy.

On another note, you have to wonder if Cramer is pissed off that Fleck is writing for Todd's sight. Didn't Reamer used to write for Cramer???

5. 3rd TH thread, basically bashing him again. What are you people looking for? Jim Jones?

The friggin site costs $6.50 per month. I do not think he is interested in giving advice, but prefers educating.

So the guy's been wrong for 3 months, I am a subscriber, and frankly hasn't cost me a dime, I can have my own opinions that are not his.

People looking to be spoonfed, or told what to do b/c they are shelling out a whopping $6.50/mo-- are equivalent to people who bring calculators to a dinner party. Get over it people, and learn to craft your own thesis, while seeing the opinions of other traders.

Jesus, the guy says in every post..it's an educational site.

Most likely geared towards college kids, not pros.

7. And ......?

8. Sorry Vulture,,did not see your reply within my own!

But that said , these TH bash threads are getting old.

Come on, in yer own words..who gives a shit if he's cutsey OR WRONG; it's a lousy $79 bux a year!

And I am not over-reacting; just tired of seeing a good trader (gone wrong, recently) getting reamed by the "superiors" at ET.

No?

Fuck me if I am wrong.

David

9. Caracal,

You have a point. But he's already spending the time and effort to do the postings, and we know he can add more value than he's adding now. I don't think anyone is saying he sucks or he's a ripoff, just that there are obvious improvements that he could make.

10. Bullet

Bullet

TheCaracal

06-11-03 08:22 PM

3rd TH thread, basically bashing him again. What are you people looking for? Jim Jones?

The friggin site costs $6.50 per month. I do not think he is interested in giving advice, but prefers educating.

So the guy's been wrong for 3 months, I am a subscriber, and frankly hasn't cost me a dime, I can have my own opinions that are not his.

People looking to be spoonfed, or told what to do b/c they are shelling out a whopping $6.50/mo-- are equivalent to people who bring calculators to a dinner party. Get over it people, and learn to craft your own thesis, while seeing the opinions of other traders.

Jesus, the guy says in every post..it's an educational site.

Most likely geared towards college kids, not pros.

What I, and other people were discussing was not the desire to be spoonfed or even have stock picks posted, but rather to have the site act more like a financial web site instead of a random thoughts jumble. Like others, I am thrilled that Harrison is so interested in charity and education, but I am paying (be it 6.50, 10, or 100) money for insight, not a feel good site. Todd provides great insight, when he chooses to, and i believe the smartest thing he has done is hire all the supporting writers who are quickly becoming the real meat behind the web site.

#10     Jun 12, 2003