Minyanville cancelations

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by patefern, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Has anyone canceled their Minyanville subscription and if so why?

I'm waiting for the University to start up and if isn't awesome I think I'll cancel.

The generic and vague style is far different than the specifics of the RM days and that is disappointing, I want to look over the shoulder of an experienced trader and observe, not looking for any market direction, which has a 50% chance of being correct, Todd will tell you that. Not looking for stock recommendations but how a trader hedges and works a position.

Watching every tick all day everyday has drawbacks when you are looking to view the whole market and craft something other than daytrading. I know he has stops and I don't remember him saying he was stopped out. He rolled up and probably did something he isn't mentioning, but did he move his stop or not honor his stops? When wrong you get out? Anyone know how his fund is doing?

He made a good call weeks ago as the stochastics were coiling and bounced up, but he has been bearish through out this leg up and unless he has done something big on the long side all those puts are melting and he hasn't said anything much about it and that is troubling, not so much as making a wrong call.

If you go to his archives and close your eyes and pick a day without knowing the date, it appears to me that the days writing would be the same as any other day you chose.

Writing a financial column and selling tee shirts doesn't mix either. He is a good person it seems, but back off some on the donations.

Todd, I mean this as constructive, not to criticize you, it's not the $10 a month but the more valuable asset wasted, time.

2. gnome

gnome

1. Todd's been trying to short since about SP 810. He might have traded around his puts and such for about break even, but still...
    2. The new people he has and will be adding are more like "Market 101" (maybe his true objective)... I generally ignore all of the posts from Charlotte and Tony. I was hoping for some perspective from an experienced institutional player + the tidbits he passes along from guys he knows who are closer to the action that we can ever be.

It's possible he's trying to dance around regulations. As he is managing money for a fee, he may be severely restricted as to what he can say in his "online letter". (If he were writing the letter only, he could say anything. But if he's acting in the capacity as an investment adviser also, his letter activities might be regulated by the strict guidelines of the 1940 Act.)

In any event, Minyanville has so far been more warm-fuzzy and cute than helpful to trading.

3. After reading Todd Harrison's cutesy prose for a few days, I was the guy in the famous Edvard Munch painting. Cancel.

4. Banjo

Banjo

Agree, it's been a joke since it's inception. Why they thought those comic book characters and their idiotic little time consuming world would fly with serious players who just want clear, concise, accurate info is beyond me. He's been getting his nuts pounded since around s&p 800. I don't see the brilliance in being wrong and hedging your way to break even. Telling me after the fact who was selling or buying what doesn't help either.
    Just don't get what all the hullabaloo is about with him. That was then, this is now.
    Banjo

5. Cancelled.

Too much crap to wade through to get at the meat. Brian Reynolds - the bond guy is outstanding! Unfortunately Tony is excellent but inconsistent - the rest.... ugh.

6. gazza1

gazza1

It's worth $10 a month for Reynolds - he's as good as I have come across.

7. Whamo

Whamo

I've gotten to the point were I will usually read Todd's first post after the opening bell and sometimes his random thoughts. Everything else he writes gets skimmed over or ignored, specifically his "conversations" with his characters, way too drawn out. I've been reading more Reynolds than Toddo lately.

8. gnome wrote:

It's possible he's trying to dance around regulations. As he is managing money for a fee, he may be severely restricted as to what he can say in his "online letter". (If he were writing the letter only, he could say anything. But if he's acting in the capacity as an investment adviser also, his letter activities might be regulated by the strict guidelines of the 1940 Act.)

He was president of Cramer Berkawitz and head trader when he wrote for RM, seems he's in the same position now at his own firm as he was before.

He said his writing is cathartic, OK, he really has to throw in some substance between the fluff.