Minimum System for Black Box

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trader59, Jul 15, 2008.

1. trader59

trader59

What is the minimum configuration (CPU, Memory) for a server used to run a black box.
    I need a server to run a black box program (through Sterling Pro). The server (OS= Server 2003 Enterprise) will be hooked up to the data feed and I will access it remotely using Remote Desktop. The box monitors several hundred stocks at one time and trades 100k shares within a minute or so.
    I am looking for minimum configuration and would also like to know what would be considered "average" configuration for such a system.

2. jtnet

jtnet

riiiiiiiiiiight, if youre blasting around 100k shares, why are you trying to cheap out budday? computers are what like 100$ these days, please

3. Seriously is this a windup? I cant believe anyone would be looking for a minimum spec to trade a black box so I can only conclude its a piss take. But if serious I have an old Spectrum that maybe appropriate!!!

NB I am no hardware expert

4. trader59

trader59

That is a great question.
    The answer is that given the fickle nature of Sterling I am not sure the whole thing will work. So I am not going to risk 3k on a machine and 50k in trading capital. I will trade 100 lots for a while with a cheap machine to make sure the system works. The figure I gave are for my trades now using a desktop with XP/ P4 3.0/2.5 Gb RAM. But the firm wants a rack server.

5. mnx

mnx

sterling's api is kinda trashy but may be able to do the job.

I'd recommend a 3.0GHz core2duo intel processor and 4GB of ram. Nothing else really matters, just toss in a cheapo video card and a cheap hard drive... (you could always do a RAID 1 config with 2 drives for data redundancy)...

You'll find sterling is very cpu intensive especially if you have subscribed to a lot of quotes...

- mnx

6. Why not just put it on a Virtual Server and scale it up as needed????

I'm not familiar with Sterling but I know there is a fair amount of software out there to track virtual computer usage, some will even track it down so a shared machine can be billed out appropriately to each user.

Regards,
    Eric