Mini-sized Dow Futures.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by saico, Jul 7, 2002.

1. saico

saico

Hi,

did someone trade these contracts in the last couple of weeks ?
    After the volumes reaches new highs since these contracts have been implemented, are the spreads reliable now for a successful daytrading ?

Much thanks !

Saico
    GERMANY

2. if you have a systematic approach for daytrading

that tries to get most of the daily high / low

you might do ok but I found the spreads
    too big for me in mini dow

in my opinion ....

if your commissions are low

you should consider either

es ( mini sp500)

or

trade DIA ( diamonds US equity) that also tracks the dow

3. I've traded them. Better for swing trades if you use limit orders. For scalping you have to go market or you'll end up chasing them.

The volatility has been impressive in the past 2 weeks.

4. With the $5 mini, spreads are OK unless you scalp but the $2 contract spread is a joke. I 've seen it as high as 40 points sometimes it will be narrow like 5-10 points but as soon as the market moves it's ridiculous. I was looking at it for swingtrading 2-3 day hold but even so the spread is too big I think.

5. MINI DOW TOTALLY UNTRADEABLE. THROW THE CONTRACT AMD THE MARKET MAKER RESPONSIBLE FOR IT IN THE TRASH!!!!!!

6. janko

janko

i was going to ask the same thing regarding trading these, I started trading the NQ but at this point its a bit too much for me, today i dont even know how and left 7 points out there in a matter of minute or two, so i was looking for something with less leverage, thus i thought about the dow contracts, the 2 or the 5 $, but wanted to get an idea of how it trades. So i guess from the consensus here, its better to leave it alone. right?!?!???
    i guess i'll go back to trading options on the qqq's rather than blow my act up on the NQ. Its too much for me right now,.

7. DblArrow

DblArrow

I've done the 5, and have no complaints. Fills are good when using limit orders. Don't believe it is a scalpers market though. It can be traded successfully on a longer time frame. 5 to 10 min.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

8. MarkHyman

MarkHyman Advanced Futures

CBOT Mini-Sized Dow Futures, Newest Minis Online

Electronic CBOT mini-sized Dow Futures are now trading on
    the CBOT's screen based system.
    Like other mini-sized stock index futures. they are exclusively
    electronic, with trading hours extending close to 24 hours.
    They are now accessible on-line to individual and institutional traders.

Advanced Futures
    CBOT Mini-Sized Dow Futures $4.90 Round Turn