Mini Dow Trading Begins Today

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tymjr, Oct 1, 2001.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

Kicking - I have the same problem with Livecharts. Today it works horrible. I'm switching to esignal. I must have high quality quotes and charts - futures are too fast, too big leverage - I can't trade them with unreliable tools.

#11     Oct 1, 2001
  2. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I hope no one out there is relying on LiveCharts or any other free program to trade futures on. If its just being used to view the futures to help with your stock trading then that's another matter. With quotes, up to a point, you get what you pay for. There is no way I would place my trades while relying on LiveCharts...it is way too unstable. Many days it doesn't work at all. And since you aren't paying anyone for them, then you have no where to go to complain when they don't work.

Some would say Qcharts has the same problems except your paying for it, but I have had a good experience with them, particularly of late.. A good feed can be had for $80-$100/month. I keep the free Nextrend feed as a backup, it has been much more reliable than LiveCharts...I'm honestly surprised that its free.

tymjr, You may have mentioned this before, but can you tell me what CQG charges for their feed plus exchange fees for both globex and a/c/e quotes? I think I remember you saying that they charge the full exchange fees. Also, do they have their own charting program or are you feeding something else? I know that they are an institutional level vendor, so I'm sure they are pricey. I went to their website to check it out, but you have to fill out a questionaire and wait for a rep to call you just to find out how much it is. That tells me they aren't really pursuing new customers.

Thanks,

Kirk

#12     Oct 1, 2001
  3. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

Dufferdon, Today october 1st, the NQ's straight down 20 points then straight up 20 points. Give it a shot!

#13     Oct 1, 2001
  4. I will if you can tell me in advance which will be the trendy days:)

#14     Oct 1, 2001
  5. tymjr

tymjr

WarEagle: “Can you tell me what CQG charges for their feed plus exchange fees for both globex and a/c/e quotes?”

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe the base package, which includes the exchanges you asked about, is about $560.00/month for a non-pro. That’s bare bones. Stock exchanges, news, etc. are extra. The inside scoop is that they will be increasing their fees very soon, though.

“I think I remember you saying that they charge the full exchange fees.”

Yup. My understanding is that they have no interest in providing reduced exchange fees for Mini traders.

“Do they have their own charting program or are you feeding something else?”

They have there own software. It is very fluid, intuitive, and full of many useful features. It’s about the only thing that keeps me with them.

“I know that they are an institutional level vendor, so I'm sure they are pricey.”

You think that’s pricey? I can remember dishin’ out a couple grand a month just a few years ago. Mostly in CQG fees.

“You have to fill out a questionaire and wait for a rep to call you just to find out how much it is. That tells me they aren't really pursuing new customers.”

Wait ‘till you become a customer, then you’ll know just how much they value your business. NOT!

To be completely fair, I have been spoiled by the technical support. From the nightmare tales I hear from different traders, other companies are horrible. CQG’s technical people are top-notch individuals. It’s the sales and management I have issues with. They are extremely apathetic.

In many ways, CQG has been far superior to other software vendors and data providers… until recently. As the industry and it’s technology has advanced, CQG has allowed itself to lose the lead that it once held over many of it’s competitors.

#15     Oct 1, 2001
  6. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

I wish I could but then I'd have to kill ya:)

Actually, I hope we get the trends back, too.

#16     Oct 1, 2001
  7. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Yikes...no wonder you get great customer support, there's only three of you and what are the odds you would all call at once? Of course, this doesn't explain the poor management! I know I said you get what you pay for, but you could also get a Lexus for that...I have to draw the line somewhere... :)

Thanks for the info though. Hopefully I can find another vendor with the CBOT quotes or quote.com will come around and add them.

Regards,

Kirk

#17     Oct 1, 2001
  8. Am I reading correctly that the mini-Dow only traded 56 contracts on its first day?

#18     Oct 2, 2001
  9. mgkrebs

mgkrebs

There is almost no activity in this contract. Most of the day it held a steady 9 point spread, size 1 on each side, like there was one guy making a market. At some times after the fed report, the spread was over 100 points. Basically useless as a trading vehicle, imo.

#19     Oct 2, 2001
  10. tymjr

tymjr

Tradewinds: “Am I reading correctly that the mini-Dow only traded 56 contracts on its first day?”

Yup. Pretty quiet... err, dead.

#20     Oct 2, 2001