Mindfulness Training: Traders required for pan-European research study

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Pachira, Oct 23, 2012.

1. lindq

lindq

I practice TM. Have for years.

Herbert Benson, MD, wrote a book that basically outlines a technique that is similar to TM. "The Relaxation Response".

If anyone is interested in possible benefits, they may want to start with Benson's book. Easy to follow, easy to do.

TM, and his technique, is based on the general concept that while quieting the mind is a nice goal, it's a difficult thing to do without a systematic approach. (Not unlike trading. Should be simple, but we build a lot of crap around it.)

The technique, put into words, is very simple. One just sits quietly, eyes closed, and repeats the thought of a mantra, or sound. If I recall correctly, Benson suggests the word "One". If other thoughts come into the mind, then very gently return to repeating the mantra. There should be no effort involved. It isn't a thing to be forced, but just done easily. Over time, with practice, it becomes much easier and very pleasant.

The value that the TM 'training' brings to the picture is the same difference in any learning process. Do it yourself, or have a guide and teacher. For some, the former is successful. For others, the latter.

In any event, call it mindfullness, meditation, or whatever. The goal is to quiet the mind and approach anything with a more grounded, smoother thought process. It isn't instant nirvana. But over time, it does have benefits.

#11     Oct 29, 2012
  2. redic002

redic002

As part of a class that deals with stress, I have done a short meditation (about 10 minutes) in my classes using a Jon Kabat-Zin recording. Students are surprisingly receptive.
    mindfulness

#12     Jan 25, 2013
  3. Zinn is tops.

His course at U of Mass is a must.

Chopra has a set of 20 that are great too. the #7 is particularly good. Its focus is dealing with how to handle acquisitions.

#13     Jan 25, 2013