Mind Control 101 – Trading cults in ET

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rabbitone, Apr 20, 2009.

1. T2GR8T

T2GR8T

Oh dear Jack.. the best evidence of SCT you've got is Spydertraders phantom 40 lot trade that he posted after the event and just by coincidence managed to hit the exact top and bottom :p

#31     Apr 23, 2009
  2. Thank you for your comment.

Recently from the web:

Internet mind control and delusions

A recent paper in the medical journal Psychopathology has analyzed the links between websites of likely-delusional people who publish their experiences of 'mind control' on the internet, and has concluded that they challenge the psychiatric criteria for the diagnosis of delusions.

One of the defining features of a delusion is that it should not be a belief "ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture". Nevertheless, some researchers have noted that there is no clear measure of what is 'ordinarily accepted'. It is also possible that cultures or subcultures could be based around beliefs that would otherwise be diagnosed as delusional. Until now, however, there have been no obvious examples of such subcultures identified.

In the Psychopathology paper, ten websites reporting psychosis-like 'mind control' experiences were identified. The reports were anonymised and independently blind-rated by three psychiatrists who confirmed that they reflect experiences stemming from psychosis.

The links between the websites were then analysed using a technique called social network analysis that allows the social network of the authors to be inferred. This analysis suggested that the authors of the reports were part of a 'small world' social network, based around the content of likely-delusional beliefs.

This contradicts the current definition of a delusion, suggesting that it is becoming increasing redundant as technology shapes and re-shapes social networks. It also suggests that, according to the current definition, anyone can 'cure' themselves of a delusion by using the internet to find or form a community of others who share the same belief!

Importantly, however, the researchers make clear that this research does not imply that all of the internet 'mind control' community are psychotic, as reports were chosen to specifically reflect psychosis-like experiences.

It is interesting, however, that the identified authors are also likely to be an active part of a wider, non-psychotic community, who may have similar, although differently motivated, concerns.

#32     Apr 23, 2009
  3. The rough trader thread looks kinda nice too. Go to page 158708 to start getting a beginner education.

Just about anyone can see how he went from 1 contract to 3 contracts. Trading 40 contracts could have been done fairly soon in that thread.

This thread is really getting kind of funny. So is the thread about the obvious.

the "phantom" expression is just too funny. I guess you don't even have any imagination. Imagine yourself hitting a top and the next bottom the way you say that the print did (It did as a matter of fact and you looked up the chart when it was first posted for your benefit).

LOL What a funny guy you turned out to be.

#33     Apr 23, 2009
  4. pspr

pspr

Be very careful if one of them offers you some KoolAid.

#34     Apr 23, 2009
  5. spindr0

spindr0

Geez, I read two sentences, figured that you needed a high colonic and skipped to the next reply. So was that poor mind control or am I not mind controllable? :)

#35     Apr 23, 2009
  6. LOL. No, you are not mind controllable.

The exercise points out how few of us realize we slip into our vulnerability to mind control on the web by the simple act of reading on forums. Why is this?

The message that is coming to you on ET is personal and direct. It is not something our minds are programmed to shut out like TV advertisements. We respond and ask questions and obtain direct feedback and reinforcement. Many buy into trading ideas and messages, without thinking, that are not for them and often pay big price.

Nah could not happen you say. Just look at some journal treads, their length and membership. ET Product theads have touts and more touts. Not mind control you say. Just talk? Could be? But look at the methods I have noted and compare them to the post in the threads….

#36     Apr 23, 2009
  7. Coroner launches probe into 'internet suicide cult' after SEVEN youngsters in one town hang

Last updated at 22:05 23 January 2008

Last Thursday: Natasha Randall, close friend of earlier victim Liam Clarke, hanged herself in her bedroom. Using the tag 'sxiwildchild', she spent hours on her Bebo webpage
    A coroner yesterday launched an investigation into the link between the internet and young suicides - as an MP hit out at websites for "romanticising" teenage death.
    Phillip Walters, the coroner for the town of Bridgend where seven young people have hanged themselves in a year, fears the teenage sites such as Bebo play a part in the spate of mystery deaths.
    Mr Walter said he is "desperately concerned" about the chain of young suicides - and of the connection to teenage social network sites such as Bebo and MySpace.
    The coroner said: "I shall be looking at these networking sites myself to see if there is a link between them and the growing number of youngsters committing suicide.
    "But in the meantime I want to warn youngsters about the possible dangers these websites can pose.
    "I would also like to warn parents to be actively on the alert for signs of their children being influenced by others on these sites.

They later ruled mind games (control) was a major cause of this and then in another country...

Another teenage girl is thought to have hanged herself in a county already blighted by 13 suspected suicides over the past year. The 19-year-old, named as Angie Fuller, was found at a house in Nantymoel, Bridgend in South Wales in the early hours of yesterday morning. She is the 14th person under 26 believed to have committed suicide in the small town in just 12 months.

And all of them tied back to this strange internet thing...

#37     Apr 23, 2009
  8. maxpi

maxpi

I worked with a really creepy, I mean really creepy, guy a few years back. He did the mind control thingy. The boss would ask him to train somebody on something and when he got done with the incredibly boring and penetrating "training" the person was afraid to touch anything related. He wanted control of everything in the lab and would use mind control at every opportunity... eventually I just sat back and let him do all the work, and he was not into finishing anything, just control, least productive person I've ever, ever witnessed. They took him all the way to the top personell people trying to get rid of him and he did the mind control thingy there too, he's probably there some three years after he ran out all the talent... I just could not stand the guy, he wasn't human... but it was obvious he was going to win the war and I wanted to change careers... How they figure out how to do that stuff I don't know, I never wanted to learn what he did. He was a brain nutrition starved vegan though, he'd been a vegan in his teenage years and that is known to retard brain development at that stage of life... he probably was Autistic or Asperger's for sure, he seemed more Aspergerish than out and out Autistic.. I've been around both... hard to take...

I put JH on ignore just to preserve my sanity, my head swims and I feel like I'm circling the drain when I read that stuff.. it's weird... NLP is an outgrowth of hypnosis, talk about mind control... he can write perfectly well, I've seen something written "in the clear" by the guy, it was fine...

I tried to cut through the bullshit and figure out what he was talking about, the channels are very weak tools imo. FTT is interesting but in other contexts it is not needed, PRV is useful but also a weak tool and prone to leading to overtrading... whatever, he has an assemblage of weak tools...

We need a contest here on ET with all the schools being touted here in play....

I did get a book on NLP, NLP for Dummies, the whole subject is not very complex actually. A funny thing, it points out that the subconscious does not understand negatives so when some assclown on ET says "YOU GUYS CANT TRADE" the reader's subconscious sees it as "you guys can trade"... Mind controllers understand that so they work around it and convince you that you can't trade without their inspired knowledge, they never tell you can't trade.. well Jack has said that people that don't analyze volume will never make money and I'm down with that.. he's said that people that get punished by losing too much will never make it. that's possible I suppose...

#38     Apr 23, 2009
  9. T2GR8T

T2GR8T

That's a coincidence because Jack tries to ignore all his detractors to preserve his vanity

#39     Apr 23, 2009
  10. Mind control in internet advertising is all the rage:

The goal of most advertisers is, frankly, to bypass your rational brain and reach down into the murky depths of your limbic system to control your desires. And the Web has given advertisers powerful new mind-control tools, allowing them to generate fake "buzz" for products by implanting references to, say, Hewlett Packard on YouTube or Cisco on Wikipedia. The idea is to make people think that their "friends" online like a product and artificially jumpstart a word-of-mouth recommendation for the product. At a South by Southwest panel about the worst viral media advertising, several marketers and critics gathered to discuss the most heinous and failed examples of ads that are turning the internet into a nightmare. Two ad campaigns stood out as the worst.

Hewlett Packard used a service called PayPerPost to pay bloggers to create posts or viral videos to promote Hewlett Packard's new digital camera. One woman had her children smash a Fuji camera with a hammer, filmed it, and put it on YouTube. The video didn't actually catch on virally, but did represent a strange and disturbing new phase in the evolution of advertising. A woman who clearly just wanted to feed her kids actually used her kids in a specious ad campaign in order to earn cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCqnar1qe38

This isn't the only time companies have tried this kind of stunt — paying bloggers a pittance to develop advertising for rich advertising firms — and it's bound to become more popular as more people get their entertainment via places like YouTube. In fact, Hewlett Packard had a much more successful viral ad campaign two years ago, in which they used “Finger soccer” (see link above) to make HP seem as cool and fun as Apple. By the time the outing happened, however, hundreds of people had spontaneously joined the "finger soccer" campaign just for fun, not realizing that the videos they uploaded were part of a viral mind control advertising effort by HP.

Another recent ad campaign that tried to use Web communities to generate artificial buzz was internet hardware manufacturer Cisco's "human network" campaign. You may remember seeing the phrase "human network" in Cisco ads, but Cisco wanted to do more than create a slogan. They wanted people to start using the phrase "human network" as everyday slang for the internet — the ideawould be to cement a connection in people's unconscious minds between Cisco, the internet, and a kind of Utopian "human network"

Since the "human network" isn't yet a well-defined phrase, [Cisco] enlisted thought leaders to volunteer their own definitions, without guidance from Cisco or Ogilvy. Contributors included a handful of FM authors, such as Boing Boing's David Pescovitz, 43Folders's Merlin Mann, Metafilter's Matt Haughey, GigaOM's Om Malik, Wi-Fi Networking News's Glenn Fleishman, Newsvine's Mike Davidson, XYZ Computing's Sal Cangeloso, TechCrunch's Mike Arrington, Searchblog's John Battelle and Make's Phil Torrone. These authors penned their thoughts and plugged them into Cisco ads on their own sites. The ads then invite readers to visit a Cisco landing page that hosts definitions from other thought leaders and gives them an opportunity to vote for a favorite. If they don't see a definition that gets it right, they can also click to the "human network" page at Wikia (a collection of freely-hosted wiki communities built on the same software as Wikipedia) to edit the definition there.

The line between advertising and mind control is not blurred: it was as if Cisco was trying to retcon a phrase into existence, with the help of several popular cultural commentators, and then lay claim to it. Luckily, the campaign didn't really work. The phrase "human network" in Wikipedia redirects to "social network," and the phrase was relegated to a mere advertising slogan rather than popular geek slang.

Why are these mind control campaigns a harbinger of things to come? First of all, they are directly engaged with a form of media — internet social networks — that are only likely to grow bigger as time goes on. Advertising can't only be those little tiny Google ads that go up the side of the page, and advertisers are going to do everything they can to become part of the content on a YouTube or Facebook so that they are more closely woven into the fabric of those networks. After all, you go to YouTube to see wacky videos, not to read the ads. So if advertisers can infiltrate the videos and make you watch their mind control stuff, it's as if you've voluntarily tuned into a TV ad.

This is much more disturbing than traditional advertising mainly because a lot of it is extremely misleading. Ads that are "teasers" are one thing — you know, putting some cool phrase or image out there, only to reveal that it's an Altoids ad three weeks later. But ads that pretend to be real endorsements from regular people? This hides their corporate sponsorship, and uses mind control ideas of underpaid people? It's like turning YouTube into a marketing sweatshop. Advertising dystopia, here we come.

#40     Apr 24, 2009