Min. account size for IRA/futures

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by TimtheEnchanter, Jun 27, 2020.

1. My main activity is with ThinkandSwim but their commissions for micro futures are too much. I have spent 1000 USD on commission just in a few weeks, kicking the tires and playing/learning the software. I mainly trade spreads but with micros, I am willing to take a bet/hedge my long positions if need be. Thus I am looking at a smaller IRA account at IB. Do I need to put up 25K or less is adequate in an IRA? TDAmeritrade only lets me trade futures with 25K. I am mostly in options and long market plus a lot of cash at TDAmeritrade.

2. destriero

destriero

What do you mean that TDA requires $25K for futures? That's not true.

3. VinnyLogz

VinnyLogz

On TD Ameritrade if you want to trade futures in an IRA you must have $25k in your account.

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  4. That's a fact, Jack! Alternatively, I can put up non-IRA money at IB...a 2-3k for spreads should be enough. Actually, for hedging, inverse ETF's are plenty to play with - no commission.

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=26662
    "Futures margin trading in an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) is subject to substantially higher margin requirements than in a non-IRA margin account. Margin rates in an IRA margin account may meet or exceed twice the overnight futures margin requirement imposed in a non-IRA margin account."

But WHY?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  5. destriero

destriero

Learn the language.

6. You and your useless posts are on my ignore list! Jack.

7. The best answer I've seen is here: