Min account balance

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by naz9403, Apr 26, 2005.

1. volente_00

volente_00

Ass long as you use strict money management and only trade 1 contract then I do not see why you will have a problem as long as you have a predefined entry, exit and stop before making every single trade.

#31     Apr 27, 2005
  2. I am constantly amazed at how well an experienced trader can do with small amounts day trading futures.

The leverage and the potiential returns are absolutely incredible.

It's not out of the question that you could take $2500 and turn it into $50,000 within a year trading futures.

good luck

#32     Apr 30, 2005
  3. Heck no ...

Take your system and look at the average loss. Imagine you'll have 10 losses in a row. When the amount you have left after 10 losses in a row represents only 10 percent of your initial starting amount then you'll have enough.

For example if you risk $100 per trade. After 10 consecutive losses you will have lost $1000. $1K is 10 percent of $10k;
    Therefore you're still able to make it back to breakeven without taking unreasonable risk.

All you have to do is make 11% ROI (which is reasonable) on the balance of the account to breakeven.

#33     May 4, 2005
  4. If I ever lose 10 trades in a row, I'm quitting day trading and getting back into the Information Technology business!

#34     May 4, 2005
  5. naz9403

naz9403

yea, losing 10 in a row is a sign to do something else. I ended up being able to fund $3k, keeping my mental stops around 10 points. I have decided trading on rate announcements and nfps intraday is pretty much suicide. Once i get a larger account and am able to pyramid into larger longer term positions it wont be a factor.

Speaking of which, Dow anyone?
    Gm seems to have given the market a breather. Have to wait and see if the large hedge funds hold tight or start to unload, if they do the dow should run up a nice amount. magnificent short squeeze

#35     May 4, 2005
  6. volente_00

volente_00

" mental stops around 10 points."

Just a fair warning when someone dumps 1000 contracts at market on a sell program, you will be down 30 points before you can click to flatten out.

I highly suggest using a physical stop while trading futures.

#36     May 4, 2005
  7. volente_00

volente_00

"Imagine you'll have 10 losses in a row."

Man if you have 10 losses in a row, you need to fade your current system and then you have found the holy grail.

#37     May 4, 2005
  8. 10 losses in a row are not likely, for a good trading system, but, still statistically probable.

The point is if you take an unlikely string of losing trades ... what kind of damage will it do to your psyche, desire to trade, and your account balance.

#38     May 5, 2005
  9. This does bring up a good point..

Every trader should have a well thought out disaster recovery plan. A predefined 'circuit breaker'.

That is, if you lose a certain amount in a given day, then its mandatory that your trading is stopped for the rest of the day.

This gives you a 24 hour time out to assess the trading environment and come up with a profitable strategy.

#39     May 5, 2005
  10. John47

John47

10 losses in a row can easily happen to anybody. you should def. plan so in that event, your account will not be put in jeopardy.

#40     May 5, 2005