Milton Friedman dies

Discussion in 'Economics' started by a529612, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Guess it depends on what one means by "some."

From an NSF report. the U of C received $111,924,000 from the Federal government for science as of 1993. Johns Hopkins received $701,097,000. HHS provides the bulk of this money. Those are nice "sums."

#41     Nov 19, 2006
  2. Daal

Daal

and your point is.
    how does that invalidates logical theories.
    people needed to eat the last time I checked

#42     Nov 19, 2006
  3. Milton Friedman's theories were not logical and could not be implemented in the 'real world'. He lived off the (taxpayer funded) university payroll all the while adocating the diminishing role of government. It is little wonder he was so loved by politicians.
    We in Australia have been constantly lobbying the USA to lift tarriff protection for agricultural products. Where was Milton Friedman when we needed him?
    It is one thing to eulogise Friedman, another to respect his thoughts enough to implement them.

#43     Nov 20, 2006
  4. Daal

Daal

In his house writing books on why freeing up the trade in the world is the important step in increasing standards of living and at the same time thinking 'fuk I wish I had fast track authority like president bush has so I could get something done'

#44     Nov 20, 2006
  5. Once again, I cannot let this kind of stupidity stand.

Whether you believe it or not, the Nobel Committee does not award its prize in Economics to people whose theories are "not logical"...

The fact that some of you can make these absurd comments reveals the stunning depth of your ignorance.

Another fine example of intellectual prowess here at ET.

Steve

#45     Nov 20, 2006
  6. Couldn't disagree more. Friedman and his philosophy turned many third world countries around that were destined for the same past that had plagued them for centuries.

Think of the contrast: Castro is sick and the world scarcely notices because he has done nothing but hold down a nation with economic thuggery and foolishness. Friedman, on the other hand and a supposedly worthless economist of all things, is lauded because so many are thankful for his legacy.

Thank God a few leaders listened to him and not the economic despotism of men like Castro...

#46     Nov 20, 2006
  7. zdreg

zdreg

One of Friedman's tenets is that you cannot devalue your currency to obtain prosperity.

the US will learn this lesson the hard way.

#47     Nov 20, 2006
  8. #48     Nov 20, 2006
  9. Cesko

Cesko

Friedman was an advisor to General Pinochet after the coup. Compare Chile to just any SA country.

#49     Nov 20, 2006
  10. Tuneman

Tuneman

are you retarded? Did you not see what happened to us during the regan years? or what is happening with Ireland now? Don't be jealous and say the guys ideas were not logical, his ideas were of PURE logic

#50     Nov 20, 2006