Millions made, much of the world seen, what now?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Slartibartfast, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ^Hey, where did my response post go? Oh well, it must have been deemed nonsense by the internet gods. Bottom line, retirement sucks.

#51     Mar 25, 2018
  2. Humpy

Humpy

I disagree. Retirement is great if you have the money and will to enjoy it.

#52     Mar 25, 2018
    CSEtrader likes this.
  3. I'm in rare agreement with the captain I know my dad loved retirement however he retired at 65. He was a chartered engineer but gave up designing powerstations and fun stuff too early. My grandmother ill and stuff, life got in the way so he was bored from 50 to 65.

As Hawkins said paraphrasing, never give up your love and make your work a love along with people.

#53     Mar 25, 2018
    Humpy likes this.
  4. jl1575

jl1575

You see, how people treat money/wealth can lead to quite different outcome/mentality.
    If you treat money as a goal, when you have much like 20 million or 50 millions, while you feel you have financial security and the boredom gets to you; while you feel abundant compared to the common crowd, but on the other hand, your ego is hurting you when you realize there are people whose fortune is swing up and down 100 million to 500 millions daily without lifting their finger. However, if you treat money as a tool/vehicle. then when you accumulate certain wealth, you feel that you can deploy it to things that you wish/hope to do , just to create something that give your sense of real accomplishment in life, lots of money does not really mean anything, as a beggar can hit a 500 million lottery and richer than you overnight, a moron can inherit more wealth than you can ever achieve by trading, and those gigantic entrepreneurs make a huge fortune by creating business that benefit millions of people, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Z, Jeff Bezo, Elon Musk, just to name a few. To them, money is only the by-product but not the goal, therefore they draw their satisfaction and happiness outside of money; Mark Z will donate 99% his money away, that show people something that money does not mean a thing for him, so gain or loss of money won't cause any euphoria and anguish in his life at all. Money. just like some other things people pursue, power, fame, is a double sword, they have their benefits and can cause problems as well in life.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    #54     Mar 25, 2018
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

In the Reddit thread more people mentioned Grethcen Rubin's books and podcast. Specially The Four Tendencies:

The Four Tendencies will immediately improve every area of your life—and I say this from personal experience. If you’ve been feeling stuck in your relationships, career, health, or self-confidence, understanding your Tendency and how to make it work for you is the game-changer you’ve been looking for.”

"Gretchen Rubin is one of the most thought-provoking and influential writers on the linked subjects of habits, happiness, and human nature. She's the author of many books, including the blockbuster New York Times bestsellers, Better Than Before and The Happiness Project. "

#55     Mar 25, 2018
    bizkitgto, Sprout and Slartibartfast like this.
  6. I have one major advantage, I have worked for three deca billionares and seen a few others on safari etc.. I've spent time with each and how they got there is no mystery. Right place, time, talent and chose not to be bought out.

Pressure and time. Another thing though is energy, about 2 percent of people need very little sleep. I have that also. Without that I can't imagine my life, friends are always tell me to write my life down but compared to many, it is nothing. I'm no Hemmingway though I admired him enough to visit Key West and stuff.

In the near future it may be possible to apply the DEC2 gene mutations for short sleeping to anyone. How do I make money? when other people are sleeping, I am trading. The first job where I am not limited to other people's hours.

#56     Mar 25, 2018
    CSEtrader and jl1575 like this.
  7. Yes, I'll agree to the point that there are multiple factors to consider. I lived a, shall we say, interesting life through my twenties and early thirties, so anything now is much more tame. That, and the wife is still working with no intention of calling it quits anytime soon, so what's a guy to do? After 21 months of having all the time and enough money to get myself in trouble I decided to nip that shit in the bud and go back to work a couple days a week for the outfit I retired from. It pays well, and is interesting work. Project management for mechanical maintenance in heavy industry. More than anything this whole aging gracefully is what sucks. Just ain't ready to cruise over into the slow lane.

#57     Mar 25, 2018
  8. I have a friend who is OCD. He is an engineer, scientist, and former successful business owner. He is semi-retired and even though he has a wide range of interests and has the time to do them, he is still semi-bored.

He has thoughts of getting involved with the local University in some way. He says he likes the enthusiasm and creative energy that some students have and he would like to participate in a meaningful research project that he can lend his expertise to.

I remember CNBC having a show titled “Second Acts”. They talked about successful people leaving their careers to start another one. There may be some content there worth looking into.

Whatever you choose, I sure you and the people around you will be better for it.

#58     Mar 25, 2018
  9. I don't have OCD lad. You are 30 and that boy-scout troupe we talked about in politics could be a good move for your particular talents.

Anyway, I have found that Ketamine is perfectly legal to buy and imbibe here! so whatever happens I'll be watching Pi from the K-Hole soon. Woohoo! :) Steve Jobs had that one right, psychedelics do a power of good.

Little better for clearing a clogged up mind. Horses love it.

#59     Mar 25, 2018
  10. #60     Mar 26, 2018