Mike Vick Reinstated--Where Does He End Up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Manning and Vick in the same sentence? Really? Vick isn't even a Randall Cunningham, much less a guy that has started every game since '98 and won something like 70% of his games.

And using completion % isn't the best way to judge a QB, but it at least gives you an idea what you're working with. I'm pretty sure Vick's numbers are the bare minimum for a NFL QB, not even on par with a QB like Rex Grossman. Scrambling is nice the first few years of a career, but sooner or later every QB figures out running down field is a great way to get killed.

#51     Jul 30, 2009
  2. LOL dont get me wrong here, im not saying by any means that vick is even close to Manning, im just trying to prove that Vick's 52% completion percentage is a gross understatement of his abilities if you just judged him by that number he looks like the worst QB in football, but everyone knows that isnt true. i was intentionally trying to compare him to (in my mind anyways) the best QB in football to show why the 52% completion percentage is no way to rate Vick.

Please feel free to argue with the HARD NUMBERS i stated above though, as opposed to arguing the retardedly simple FACT that Manning is out of Vick's League.

#52     Jul 30, 2009
  3. I think there is probably a lot going on beneath the surface. Teams which already have a decent starter probably would be interested only if they could get him on a cut rate deal, which isn't likely right now. Teams that do need a QB see that by waiting, they can get leverage in a contract negotiation with him. Some teams might also try to use him to get leverage in negotiations with their existing QB, say on a contract extension.

I am baffled by the Vikings' announced lack of interest. They have a possible Super Bowl team with a decent QB and coach. Too late now to replace the coach (that will probably come next year). But Vick is clearly superior to Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfell.

I put the 49ers in pretty much the same category, only not as good a team as the Vikes. Weak at QB, and unproven at head coach.

Seattle is an interesting situation for Vick. New Seahawks headcoach Jim Mora was his coach for part of the time at Atlanta and some people think Vick got him fired with spotty play, but apparently they have a good relationship. Matt Hasselbeck struggled with injuries last year and might be done.

I still think the Redskins are the most likely landing spot for Vick, even though they have said they aren't interested. They were prepared to pay a stiff price to get Jay Cutler and tried to move up in the draft to get Sanchez. Their QB, Jason Campbell, is unproven and in his contract year. Their head coach, Jm Zorn, is a former QB and QB coach and has to be intrigued by the chance to get his hands on Vick. Moreover, Zorn is on the hotseat this year after a disastrous last half of the season last year. No playoffs this year no doubt means a pink slip for Zorn, and a likely replacement is former Denver coach Mike Shanahan. I'm pretty sure the Skins with Vick at QB and Shanahan on the sideline will do better than last year's 16 points a game.

Anyway, the drama continues.

#53     Jul 30, 2009
  4. Add to the fact that the Falcons grossly mishandled Vick. He never got the chance to truly master an offensive. An offensive mind like Shanahan that will play to Vicks strengths would b lethal. When coaches let Vick play, he really cannot b stopped. Atlanta figured this out, then he went to jail. He was going to b given the offense that next season and allowed to call his own plays, if anybody remembers. The NFC south was shuddering, then they were cheering.

Well now theyre shuddering again.:D Goooo Matty Ice!!

#54     Jul 30, 2009
  5. I totally forgot that Jim Zorn was a former QB coach, that definately ups the odds of him ending up a Redskin in my book, as he could be the guy who elevates his game to a completely new level, however Zorn already (seemingly) completely shut the door on that. Backlash in washington seems to high as well, with a bunch of PETA/Animal rights activists to compete with.

Perhaps a new fad is in the works where instead of throwing an octopus on the ice, like the detroit redwings, where ever Vick ends up they will throw a dead Pitbull on the field to start games. Remember you heard it here first.

j/k:D

I think the news article Dr.jekyllus provided about vick supposedly being close to signing is a clear ploy by him and his agent to stir up some interest, as at this point it appears everyone is willing to just take a pass on him.

#55     Jul 30, 2009
  6. I actually think fan reaction in DC would be mostly supportive. The Haynsworth signing, right after he nearly killed a guy he sideswiped speeding in his ferrari, didn't cause even a ripple. The team has a large black fan base, and they tend to feel he was punished too severely. Post columnist Mike Wilbon sees everything in racial terms, and he has written a couple of columns saying Vick shouldn't be punished any more.

#56     Jul 30, 2009

7. While i agree you are right, there will be alot of black people lobbying for him, never underestimate the sheer psychoticness(is that a word?) of Peta/Animal rights activists, they will be there all season if they have numbers at first... I think that is the main reason why everyone is scared of signing him, people from PETA will result to violence against a human being to save a rat, the backlash could be ASTRONOMICAL if there was ever a violent protest. It is my opinion that the majority of those animal rigths people live in Washington/or would flock to a place where they could make a national statement, and can be heard....(though admittedly i might be wrong, never checked stats.)

#57     Jul 30, 2009
  8. What about his career passer rating of 75?

You left that part out.

LOL. Good stuff.

:)

#58     Jul 30, 2009
  9. Forgive me if im wrong but passer rating(i believe) does not include rush yards by a QB so once again it is not a good way to rate Vick. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Thx for laughing at the joke though! I thought it was funny apparently some dont though......:D

#59     Jul 30, 2009
  10. Passer rating does not include rush yards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

#60     Jul 30, 2009