Middle East - Balanced discussion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by freealways, May 11, 2003.

1. MWS417

MWS417

Too Funny!!!

But Diplomat of the Year seems like a slap in the face. Nobel Peace Prize would be more appropriate.

Michelle

#61     May 17, 2003
  2. Nah.....they give those to terrorists these days.

#62     May 17, 2003
  3. True...I would decline taking any "prize" that had been given to Arafat. Just the thought of linking the term "Peace Prize" to the name "Arafat" makes the whole thing a worthless vehicle for recognition of anything worthwhile.

And the truth is, the whole France to the Palestinians was not truly my original idea. My cousin mentioned it to me. I will take credit for "Frankenstine" though.

Peace,
    :)RS

#63     May 17, 2003
  4. Here's an article that may be too reasonable and Administration-supportive for those who believe, for instance, that acts of terrorism in Saudi Arabia and Morocco indicate failure, or, conversely, that the absence (to this date) of 9/11-scale "megaterror" events means that the threat is overblown and the terror war itself just a pretext for nefarious, Bush-Chaney schemes.

(There are people, including many Democrat politicians, who seem to believe both things - either at the same time or, when convenient, sequentially. They're at least as intellectually dishonest as those who would try to use the absence of terror events as proof that the policy is working and must be supported, but the occurrence of such events as proof that the policy is necessary and must be supported. Any meaningful policy position - something more than a slogan attached to whatever self-righteous and self-interested ventilation of prejudices - must be grounded in the larger historical and strategic context.)

Here's the article link:

http://www.reason.com/rauch/051203.shtml

Here's an excerpt:

#64     May 17, 2003
  5. Heh-heh!

Say, why stop with the Palestinians?

Didn't Beirut used to be called the Paris of the Middle East? :)

#65     May 17, 2003
  6. Wasn't even that long ago either.

Amazing what hatred can accomplish so quickly.

:( RS

#66     May 17, 2003
  7. traderJ

traderJ

After todays bus bombing, and weekend killing of the couple in Hebron The Israelis should simply do to the arabs what the US Marines did in Bagdad. Go in kick some serious butt, starting with the leaders, until the common man on the street sees that bombings will accomplish nothing. The US people would not tolerate terrosit attacks once a week in Manhatten, so why should the Israelis tolerate it?

#67     May 18, 2003
  8. marcD

marcD

I thought that was pretty much what they have been doing. Hard to "kick butt, starting with the leaders" when the leaders hide among innocent civiilains, including women and children.

When the Israelis do get the leaders in their sights, they do go after them.

Rough situation.

MarcD

#68     May 18, 2003
  9. >>The US people would not tolerate terrorist attacks once a week in Manhatten, so why should the Israelis tolerate it?<<

TraderJ, I agree, it just doesn't make sense.

The only explanation which makes sense is that the Jews are so stupid that they think that public opinion (how people think about them) is more important than stopping the carnage.

In other words they are tooo soft, tooo civilised.

freealways

#69     May 18, 2003