Middle class revolt

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dddooo, Sep 20, 2005.

1. jmccain

jmccain

You've just described executive & ceo pay. I think CEOs should be outsourced first. It doesn't make any sense to have a North American CEO when your work force is Indian. There are just too many communication barriers.

#51     Sep 21, 2005
  2. when there are 100 lawyers and only 2 bricklayers in a population. bricklayers will be able to command more pay than the lawyers.

#52     Sep 21, 2005
  3. Why pay $300k for tuition?

University of Washington is ranked as one of the top 20 universities in the world; it's tuition is only $6k a year for in-state residents.

17 of the top 20 universities in the world are in the U.S., several of which are public. There is no need to spend exorbitant amounts to receive an excellent college education.

#53     Sep 21, 2005
  4. jmccain

jmccain

Except that to become a brick layer all I need is a truck and some bricks. A lawyer needs to go to college for 4 years, slave as an intern for 4 more and then, hopefully establish him/herself.

Construction work has already been outsourced to illegal immigration anyways.

#54     Sep 21, 2005
  5. Yes, and many are getting paid on a "piece work" pay system, not hourly/weekly.

#55     Sep 21, 2005
  6. skilled tradesmen are going to put it to white collar america in the future. the average youth of today will not get their hands dirty and those that do are in a position to demand hi wages.

#56     Sep 21, 2005
  7. i guess we are a perfect example of why there will be no turning back and no solution. no one agrees what the reason for the problem is.

#57     Sep 21, 2005
  8. Skilled craftsmanship is a thing of the past. Go to any construction site and you'd be amazed that a bunch of no-skill nail bangers are actually able to put some decent housing up. The economics just make it very hard for a ''true'' crafstman to take pride and produce good work when you're competing against production based on ''piece-work'' type of pay.

#58     Sep 21, 2005
  9. jmccain

jmccain

Well I agree with that. I don't think it's good for the US' competitive advantage as a member of the international community though.

#59     Sep 21, 2005
  10. Yes. So, 24K for tuition only - no books, computers, housing, food. Ever try to work 40 hours a week and get all your studying in for something like engineering, or pre-med, or science ? I did it: a lot of people didn't make it and not because they were dumb.

What we will soon see in the US is companies forced to re-start apprentice programs and company sponsored training with time off for their employees to accomplish the tasks on company time. They will also start paying for undergraduate schooling etc. I see a shift in the definition of high school from wasted time to producing immediately productive qualified workers - taking this business away from current universities undergrad curriculums: this is precisely how many other countries handle things....

#60     Sep 21, 2005