Middle class revolt

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dddooo, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Like where? Most places with high paying jobs,like NYC,LA,and San Francisco,are not low cost of living.Most of the kids coming out of college can't afford to buy homes in these areas.

#41     Sep 21, 2005
  2. i just looked at my state system for school of law for an example. looks like the tuition is $7960.

http://www.usd.edu/law/prospective_students/costs.cfm

#42     Sep 21, 2005
  3. yes this system must change.

harvard sits on a 20 Billion + endowment that has been growing over 10% yearly. they could literally pay the tuition of all their undergrads and still grow their endowment by billions yearly.

of course they instead choose to charge 160K for a four year education (which most will need to augment with a secondary degree that costs an additional 100K, if they want to pay off their debt in a reasonable time). now lots of students receive financial aid, so maybe they will only have to pay 40K, but your family has to earn a pretty low combined income to qualify.

the administrations of the super-wealthy colleges that charge an arm and a leg are not living in the real world and are morally sick if you ask me.

#43     Sep 21, 2005
  4. jmccain

jmccain

Vehn,

Let's say 40K for 4 years * 2 Kids = 80K for state college education for your average family. Yikes.

#44     Sep 21, 2005
  5. exactly. now let's say you're upper-middle class and have a combined family income of 100K, plus 2 kids that go to top private colleges. wow, you're up for 300K tuition.

#45     Sep 21, 2005
  6. if education isnt going to get you a job as another poster said why do we need an expensive private college. maybe a cheap state college or even a trade school. ever tried to hire a bricklayer? they laugh at people with an mba. they get over $1 a brick to lay them. everybody cant be a lawyer.

#46     Sep 21, 2005
  7. pierson

pierson

maybe we should get back to the old ways where people actually own their own businesses and the children either go to work for the family business or be an apprentice for a couple of years then start their own business.

In my opinion, i always tell people if you have a good job that pays you enough to pay your bills then you should be happy and work you butt off and not complain about it. They don't have to give you benefits or match you 401k programs. Who is paying for your employers health insurance or matching their 401k? That is a gift, even though you are paying more for health care, if you don't like it, go out and get it yourself and see just how cheap it is.

On almost every job you can be replaced by a guy for $5 an hour and they will probably work just as hard as you. We think we are so entitled to good paying jobs, great health care, all the goodies. But we're not.

We expect cost of living increases, why? Why should an employer give you more money if you aren't making more money for them, just because cost of living goes up does that mean your employer is making more money?

If people want to be paid better than figure out a way to make your boss some more money and show them why you are worth the extra cash. Don't just expect a free ride.

Pierson

#47     Sep 21, 2005
  8. exactly. every employee is just like a small business. if you are a high cost vendor to your company because:
    1. you live in a million dollar house.
    2.you have 2 40k cars.
    3. you consume 10k a year in medical services.
    4. you expect to work 20 years and have the company support you for 30 years in retirement.

dont be supprised if some hungry well educated person, that only wants the same things you already have, in india outbids you on your job.

#48     Sep 21, 2005
  9. jmccain

jmccain

Corporations have had record profits for the past few years. CEO as well as other Executive pay & bonuses have gone through the roof.

#49     Sep 21, 2005
  10. jmccain

jmccain

That's pretty much the point I was trying to make. While the rest of the world educates their children for high tech careers, our children are becoming brick layers. If that's the society that you want to live in then that's fine.

#50     Sep 21, 2005