Microsoft’s cloud services are down

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by themickey, Sep 28, 2020.

1. themickey

themickey

Thousands of workers globally have been left unable to access their emails in Outlook or other Microsoft services including Teams and OneDrive, with an issue affecting Microsoft’s cloud software.

“We’re investigating an issue affecting access to multiple Microsoft 365 services,” Microsoft said on Twitter.

“We’re working to identify the full impact and will provide more information shortly.”

The issue is ongoing, and Microsoft said attempts to roll back a recent update haven’t worked
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...l/news-story/21a447e40a3bae4c19c989633a67e4a5

2. Overnight

Overnight

Always store your important stuff locally. Here endeth the lesson.

Turveyd and Laissez Faire like this.
  3. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

I still run a local version of Office with no one drive storage, even though I get 365 for free. But how many more times will this sort of thing happen? Seems like they HAVE to get it bullet proof, although it seems at least once a month some major system is going down from some player.

The other thing that is interesting is MSFT got rid of all the testing positions about 4-5 years ago. Probably not a good idea as Tester simply do not think like Developers and visa versa.

apdxyk and Laissez Faire like this.
  4. ET180

ET180

And backed up on 3-4 cheap USB drives as redundancy with 1 drive stored in a location away from home.

Laissez Faire likes this.
  5. gaussian

gaussian

There's also the trouble of authenticating licenses. Now that everything is by month it has to call home to make sure you can still access it. A major backbone goes down and now every last bit of software you pay for doesn't work.

I've been pushing back against the "SaaSification" of software since 2009. No one has listened. Still, no one listens. I guess you can't blame them. People are terrible measurers of risk. That $7/mo. for office/photoshop/whatever sounds great when compared against the box price of $300-400 dollars. But, ownership is one of those things that's hard to attach a good dollar value to. That is, until you can no longer use the thing you pay for.

For all his garbage opinions on everything Richard Stallman knew what he was talking about when he called this back in the 90s.

6. d08

d08

It's ridiculous to be so reliant on cloud services. People get what they deserve.

Nobert and Laissez Faire like this.
  7. Nobert

Nobert

Its like em folks whos hard drive got corrupted and lost 15 years of research work.
    (No copies , all of the data in one pc, smart move)

8. SteveM

SteveM

....but in 10 years we are going to be taking flights across the Atlantic in A.I.-powered pilotless planes.

:rolleyes:

9. themickey

themickey

....NY to London, landing in Greenland or the ocean.

apdxyk, SteveM and Nobert like this.
  10. narafa

narafa

And that AI software will be running on the cloud, practically piloting the plane from a DC on the ground. So if the cloud goes blackout, you have clueless planes out in the sky, which I am sure will have a very fragile contingency plan for such situation.

#10     Sep 29, 2020
    SteveM likes this.