Microsoft Vista and Latency

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darshan, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Darshan

Darshan

Hey guys, I just bought a new top of the line HP, Dual Core 6 MG Ram it's a serious piece of machinery. I have two CPU's hooked up to the internet and I noticed that my old CPU which runs XP constantly pings much lower than my new machine which runs Vista.

My old machine pings anywhere from 40-90 which the Vista seems to ping around 100. The machine that runs Vista is far superior but the result that are coming back seem to be confusing me. In fact I can even notice the difference when trading. Is this a Vista problem? Perhaps it's my firewall? I'm using Norton.

If anyone can shed any light on this issue I would appreciate it. I'm completely baffled.

Thanks guys!

2. Tums

Tums

try tracert instead of ping

you can better pinpoint the location of the problem

3. Darshan

Darshan

I tried it and I have no idea what I'm looking at. The issue isn't my Internet Service Provider however, it's my machine. My brand new one is ping twice as high as my old machine they are running the same cable service and using the same router.

4. dont

dont

Try pingplotter

5. Tums

Tums

disable ipv6

6. Tums

Tums

vista has a new ip stack.
    an old and/or non-compliant router can easily get overwhelmed.

look for the vista ready label when shopping for a new router.

7. Darshan

Darshan

Thanks for the feedback Tums, how do I go about doing that?

8. Doubt it. Especially if there's only a ping packet every couple of seconds.

9. Perhaps if you post the tracert output then we can interpret it for you.

Command in the command window is:

tracert schwab.com > out.txt <enter>

Replace schwab.com with any web site or ip address that you choose.

Test both computers so we can compare results.

10. I have a Vista machine and an XP machine here, no tweaking done on either machine. tracert intereactivbrokers.com gets very similar results on both. They are going through a three port switch and the vista machine is behind a firewall...

#10     Sep 30, 2008