Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hughb, Jun 19, 2012.

1. iPad for now; I'm waiting for the flexible touch glass/screens to come out before I get a real tablet.

#41     Nov 19, 2012
  2. brad10

brad10

No one is going to buy a surface. Ipad, Kindle, and Nexus will dominate the market.

#42     Nov 19, 2012
  3. I have to admit I have not bought any tablet/pad. I like the idea and I think the 10 inch is a good size. My hold back is I am sick and tired of paying for internet access for this stuff and everything else. My kids hate me as I refuse to get a data plan for our phones. I just can't say I need to pay more for data just so I can utilize my IPad or Surface or Galaxy, or whatever. I have reached my limit of being nickled and dimed to death, ie monthly fees, for all this tech crap. I would love an IPad, or the Surface more so, as I am not an Apple fanboy, for aviation, but again, I have had enough of fees. I guess I am a cheap ass, but I look at cost for everything outright or paying monthly, and internet is nowhere near the value on a monthly basis that companies are getting away with. I know it is a losing battle, but I will hold out, and I wish more people would and force companies to offer a real value.
    Ok, rant for the day done.

#43     Nov 19, 2012
  4. About two months ago I ordered up and got to configure 23 ipads for a client. they are cool devices but so much better with a data plan. Just like a cell phone - pretty worthless these days without a data plan.

#44     Nov 19, 2012
  5. I have no issues with a cell phone with no data plan. I work at home and see no reason to risk security issues to trade via a phone or tablet, ie wireless. Beyond that, as a self employed trader I can honestly say I have no need to have internet access outside my home. My wife has it via work and needs it for her job, but again, no need for everyday life. Quite a few free wifi sites for her to access her Nook if she would actually need to outside the house, but she hasn't found a reason yet.

#45     Nov 19, 2012
  6. RedDuke

RedDuke

No sure what you mean, you are not required to get any data plan with iPad or most other tablets.

I hear you about all tech bills. I actually went through full overview of all services I was paying for about a year ago.

#46     Nov 19, 2012
  7. WD40

WD40

I hate to use Microsoft.

They have no significant improvement or innovation since Windows 95.

They tweak things a bit here, move things around a bit there, and call them new products. All they do is make life miserable for those people who want something stable.

#47     Nov 19, 2012
  8. Mr_You

Mr_You

I with you 100%. And this is why I'll move to Ting as soon as the devices come down in price.

Ting cost $6/month per device and only charges you based on usage (data, voice, text, and reasonable prices). I find that really appealing. The downside is its on Sprints network which can have coverage issues, but thats a sacrifice I'm willing to have because I can't stand the greedy bastards at AT&T and Verizon.

#48     Nov 19, 2012
  9. easymon1

easymon1

#49     Nov 21, 2012
  10. So far, it looks like the Surface Pro has passed through the FCC’s certification; a tablet with the internal label 1514 was submitted in December. It wasn’t specified at the time whether this tablet is the Surface Pro, but being that the tablet runs on Windows 8 and is just two digits away from the Surface RT’s 1516 label, it seems quite likely that the Surface Pro was indeed submitted for FCC approval last month.
    The specifications of the Surface Pro suggest that this will be a tablet mainly designed for upscale enterprise users rather than average consumers who may only need a tablet for gaming, Internet and multimedia access and other “everyday” tasks. The Surface Pro’s 10.6-inch display is the same size as that of the Surface RT, but with a much higher pixel resolution of 1920 x 1080. Also, it comes with a faster processor (Intel Core i5) and more internal storage (64 GB or 128 GB). Of course, with such higher-end specs comes a higher price; the Surface Pro will start at $899 for the 64 GB version without Touch Cover. Microsoft has not yet announced whether it will offer Surface Pro packages with the Touch Cover bundled in, just like what it did with the Surface RT.
    If the Surface Pro has a weakness in terms of specs, it would be the tablet’s battery life; Microsoft has estimated a lifespan of about 4-5 hours per full charge. Despite this and the comparatively high price, Microsoft hopes that the Surface Pro will be a success once released, unlike the Surface RT, which has failed to live up to sales expectations since its October 2012 launch.

#50     Jan 3, 2013