Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hughb, Jun 19, 2012.

1. I purchased, downloaded and installed WIN8 Pro today. No big deal. I notice no difference from WIN7 with the exception of the crazy "start screen". I'm hoping there's something better behind the scenes that makes it worth it (i.e., kernel improvement).

#31     Oct 26, 2012
  2. the glory days are long gone, both for msft and appl.
    its all become just "so what"
    there really is very little in the "need to have it" dept.

tablets offer very little and they get boring after a short while. certainly have there place, but mines been collecting dust for weeks now. it adds no value. same with my phone, its now just become a means to make calls and send some texts; didn't need to spend that kind of $ to do those simple functions. all the apps i downloaded are collecting dust.

yawn.

#32     Oct 26, 2012
  3. CET

CET

I saw a report today on one of the business channels saying that the keyboard/cover is sold separately for $130. That is a quick boost in the cost.

#33     Oct 26, 2012
  4. There are start button replacements (better than the original)

But personally I'd recommend not putting one on for 2-3 weeks to see if you stop wanting it. The crazy screen (press win key) is easy to customize (move em around, get rid of them, press the little - sign at the bottom right of the bar). And if you're into your keyboard just press Win then start typing the applications name and when you've got 3 or 4 letters you can press enter to launch it (or if its like your libreoffice suite type libr and use arrows or mouse to hit the right one). Faster than a start menu.

Lots of Win XX shortcuts. Turning the pc off - sweep your cursor to the right bottom or top, choose settings and then power. Or Win I to get the power button.

Everything is a tiny bit faster. And despite being for tablets its more keyboard friendly than Win 7 or XP.

#34     Oct 26, 2012
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

Ran win 8 analyzer and few programs came as unsupported. iTunes was one them, so will skip upgrade from now.

#35     Oct 26, 2012
  6. There are a lot of confusion about the Win 8 (interestingly, the head of the win8 at MS resigned).

surface RT runs the window RT on the ARMS processors, which is similar to win 8 but not compatible. In the meantime, MS is developing a windows compatible OS for ARMS processors. So the future of window RT is not clear.

#36     Nov 13, 2012

7. They finally get a great piece of hardware(Surface) and they screw it up with shitty software. Classic softie!:D

#37     Nov 13, 2012
  8. tango29

tango29

I will never understand why anyone buys the first iteration of anything. And yes that includes the Fantasy Island of Apple products. You are asking to be the real time guinea pig, but you have the honor of paying for it. Why? I like the idea of the Surface, but I will wait for the intial real time issues to be identified. I have a friend who is the APPL fanboy. He buys and complains with each new edition of the Apple product line, and then claims he never has any issues. I remind him of his complaints and he goes nuts. I will add he also got a virus on his IPad downloading an app from I tunes, but you alwyas hear that can't happen as Apple is so diligent at preventing it. I guess not. Wait, make companies learn to spend more time perfecting than jumping at the latest greatest. Wow, I am a genius. ROFL

#38     Nov 13, 2012
  9. koolaid

koolaid

There's a lot of Apple fan boys on this thread. Apple isn't an innovator. They're doing the same thing that Microsoft and every other company does: steal people's ideas and make them better. Please don't act like Apple invented the chiclet keyboard, smartphone, or portal music player. These products existed well before Apple was even a viable company.

#39     Nov 17, 2012
  10. easymon1

easymon1

Innovaters can be really bad marketers. Don't forget the mouse. Job's trip through Xerox Parc yielded the mouse that'd laid around there for who knows how long. Good on 'im. Maybe it's time to nose around over there some more! lol Standard procedure, blaze the trail for someone else to travel. Carl Sagan said that if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Maybe I'll just have a deep fried Twinkie.
    Wikipedia...
    Xerox PARC has been the inventor and incubator of many elements of modern computing in the contemporary office work place:

Laser printers,
    Computer-generated bitmap graphics
    The Graphical user interface, featuring windows and icons, operated with a mouse
    The WYSIWYG text editor
    InterPress, a resolution-independent graphical page-description language and the precursor to PostScript
    Ethernet as a local-area computer network
    Fully formed object-oriented programming in the Smalltalk programming language and integrated development environment.

How much of this did Xerox bring to the user?

#40     Nov 17, 2012