Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hughb, Jun 19, 2012.

1. I will buy a surface. I am more than tired of the fantasy, marketing crap of apple. I will admit it will require to walk away from the apple fantasy. It is a platform, and any number of vendors have the same product. Steve Jobs sold the product, but isn't there now. I will claim now, that will make a huge difference.

#21     Oct 25, 2012
  2. WD40

WD40

surface will soon become sub-surface

#22     Oct 25, 2012
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

This only makes sense if you planning to go for Pro version, RT will be as limited as iPad, but iPad is way more advanced from many angles.

#23     Oct 25, 2012
  4. Bull. Seriously.

Even RT si not as limited as the apple - from a good development Environment to the ability to load applications outside of the store (it is called sideloading, using Google is an intelligence test). It also supports remote Desktop int a apro Version properly (with touch etc.). It has a good Keyboard and it supports Office. QUITE a difference.

It is not as good for certain things as a pro, but it is by no means a failure.

What I miss is a Surface Enterprise. Give me the size of a Pro, an Atom processor, a LONGER Batterie life, a replaceable battery and I am all in. As it is now, I will likely order a couple of the Dell tablets for my Company - they are QUITE perfect with the exception of not having the GREAT touch Panel protection. I will likely replace the Desktop for my Management side (i.e. secretary) with a dell and put one on my table as secondary machine.

I woudl LOVE a surface, but no Docking Station (i dont want to deal with cables), no replacable Battery is justa no - I wont buy two or have it not usable for a week because of battery swap.

#24     Oct 25, 2012
  5. maxpi

maxpi

I dl'd the overlay that makes a win7 machine have the front end of Win8.. it's nothing really other than my laptop reminds me of a tablet and I like the win7 thingy already..

#25     Oct 25, 2012
  6. RedDuke

RedDuke

If you compare every item side by side, for the most part they will match each other. Each will be better in some ways.

That being said, Pro looks really exiting. A full fledged PC in a tablet format. Like I said, I will get it right away, if it will turn out garbage will return it. BUT, and it is a BIG ONE, it must be priced properly.

Competition on apple is heating. Surface against iPad and Galaxy S3 against iPhone.

However, apple seamless integration and eco system is their real strength. I really wanted to get S3, but ended up upgrading my 4S to 5, due to family being in ecosystem too deep.

2 years from now, if Microsoft acts in the right way, a good windows phone and a surface, might be a great combo to own.

#26     Oct 25, 2012
  7. JackR

JackR

Be careful. Windows 8 and Windows RT are not the same. As I understand it you will not be able to migrate existing applications to Windows RT. Windows 8 is the PC operating system. RT is for tablets, etc.

According to a newsletter I read "Although Microsoft has been extraordinarily coy about the details, it now appears that Windows RT computers will run look-alikes of standard, built-in Windows apps (such as Paint, WordPad, and Notepad). According to an Office Next blog, there will be RT versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote — all with complete document compatibility. The first Windows RT devices shipped to customers in October will include preview versions of those apps that will be updated automatically to full versions over the next three months."

Jack

#27     Oct 25, 2012
  8. "will be"?

They're not shipping with those apps installed?

That would be...dumb.

#28     Oct 25, 2012
  9. dumb and dumber.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e8M6S8EKbnU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve jobs has the answer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dR8SAFRBmcU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#29     Oct 25, 2012
  10. Yes, win8 RT is not compatible with win8 with a few exceptions.

#30     Oct 26, 2012