Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hughb, Jun 19, 2012.

1. I had no problem wihth the preview on Hyper-V - "it just worked". The release candidate is out for some weeks now and people here around my company love it (some installed it at home oin laptops etc.). We run 2 severs now on Server 2012 and love that too - Hyper-V v3 is great (fast, bigger vm's).

I do not care about the look - seriously, "get over it". Tihs is how 8 looks, reconfiguring it like win 7 just makes you not understand and get used to it. For example the start screen is quite good once you are used to it.

#11     Jun 19, 2012
  2. Classic MSFT Surface parody:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CZrr7AZ9nCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#12     Jun 19, 2012
  3. It's ridiculous how far away from innovation MSFT has gone. Always following the footsteps of AAPL, and usually, quite late.

iPod, Zune

iTunes, Zune Store or whatever is called

iOS, Windows enhancements

iPhone, Windows Phone

iPad, Surface

Always lagging like dog's balls and their attempts, at best, laughable.

PS: Not a fundamental based trader, just chit chatting

#13     Jun 20, 2012
  4. Excpt for tabglets thery were there first, though at that time it was terribly heavy.

MS was never about inovation but about making a good product at a decent price point where it sells. Innovators often fail.

#14     Jun 20, 2012
  5. Bored

Bored

I am keeping an open mind and looking forward to it

If TWS and Buttontrader can be loaded directly on it, it will be worth it to me...

Keyboard cover, excellent idea

MS word and excel... a plus

USB port.... Finally... [no more being held hostage by iTunes]

So they don't have a Zinga app to play virtual dirt farmer I will survive...

It won't replace my trading office, it won't replace my i7 laptop, but it may augment my mobile options, just another tool....

I like MSFT products for productivity, and I like Apple products to entertain my child....

#15     Jun 20, 2012
  6. That is the most important statement, only that for me I have no laptop and strive for something more mobile - I just managed without for some time now and wont buy anything with significant better hardware just some months away. I THINK that is a full replacement for me for a laptop, though it may get the Pro version.... ;)

But yes, it is "just another item", but it is one that REALLY strikes a tone for some usages.

I always envied a colleague in the last project with an IPad for taking notes in meetings. Just he had problems sending them around. And when you are to take meeting minutes (the official protocol) the little keyboard can come in VERY handy - not only is it better than touchscreen, it also does allow you to SEE MORE while you type ;)

It definitely will NOT replace my non mobile setups, and not my phone (which is why I do not mind missing 3g - it will pretty much permanently tether to my phone).

It will definitely run office. It will allow me to sideload a custom trading control app without publishing it. It will INTEGRATE with the whole windows stuff, and MS actually gets a lot right this time (like file sync with the new SkyDrive).

#16     Jun 20, 2012

7. i like it too!
    i don't own a tablet for any number of reasons but this looks interesting, more than just a idle time diversion thingy.

#17     Jun 20, 2012
  8. I want to see what apps are going to be available. I have not bought an IPad, but I do have a friend who caved two weeks ago. He uses it mainly for flying and the apps that are available. He is anti APPL as I am, but admits his IPad is great for flying and the apps that are available. I may cave for the same reasons. I need MSFT to show me something more than a small computer. I trade at my office, in my house, I don't care about a platform for trading away. I think trading via a phone or a blind wireless connection is moronic. There is just nothing safe about it. I trade at my office and no where else. It is my business and not a game.
    The offereings available for things like flying via Ipad or riduculous. I can have the same offerings that would cost me literally a thousand buck a year, or more for a one time outlay of an Ipad, and a one time subscription. I don't fly hard IFR so don't need weather updates every minute, and 99% don't. Hard to justify paying XM, Garmin etc, for their overpriced stuff when I really don't need it. I haven't seen the same apps avialable for Android, yet. I do want it, as I am not an APPL fan, but eventually I will go Ipad if the alternative isn't there in terms of platform, and applications.

#18     Jun 21, 2012
  9. hughb

hughb

So tommorrow is the release date - what stores have it?

Does the tactile keyboard come with it, or is it purchased separately?

What is the price?

Amazon doesn't carry it, and the Microsoft site says that it only comes with RT for now, Windows 8 is later. Am I reading that correctly?

I guess I just don't understand mobile computing. I have a laptop that connects to the internet through my Wifi that I get through the phone company. So do these mobile devices connect to my Wifi, or do I have to have another data subscription to be compatible with the mobile device? It appears to me that they connect to a 4g network, which I assume is not the internet.

#19     Oct 25, 2012
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

Definitely skipping this one. Waiting for Surface Pro. Will buy it as soon as it comes out just to test how trading and writing code on a real tablet/PC will work out. Btw, have an iPad and loving it, but it is a consumption device at the end.

#20     Oct 25, 2012