Microsoft Settles Calif. Suits for $1 Bln

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SethArb, Jan 11, 2003.

1. will this news ... which came out late friday eve

have any effect on the sp500 / nasdaq100 / mister softee

sunday night / monday am ?

MSFT do to report earnings thursday ... maybe they will comment
    on the suits at that time ... ?

2. I doubt the settlement would have been reached so easily, and for so little if California did not have such severe financial problems right now.

Short California!!!

(maybe that way people will leave and give me more room on the beaches of San Diego)

3. TGregg

TGregg

Is your government finding it harder and harder to raise taxes, but still has many citizens who hardly get any handouts? How can you expect these citizens to keep voting for increased government if they are not getting any of the loot? Here's how you can solve this problem, sue the bejebbers out of any company that has money.

For our next target, we'll be raping Fast Food. McDonald's, please send 2 billion to CA within 30 days, or we send the lawyers. After we finish with that industry (not robbing the "friendly" companies that wisely contribute to our campaigns, of course), we'll be nailing Big Alcohol. Then the meat industry. Then the auto companies. Yes, soon we will have sued ourselves into prosperity.

4. omcate

omcate

Now that Technology has become the "old economy". This is the "new economy" !!

However, some States do have deficits over 80 billion dollars. I am not sure it is so easy to sue their ways out.

:p

:cool:

:D

5. What leads the new economy?

6. TGregg

TGregg

The trial lawyers, of course. Too bad they aren't publicly traded :(, I need a nice long term investment.

7. You can't get much of a settlement out of a cratered company ...

8. Why don't you set up a shell on the Nasdaq Small Cap?

Standards for setting one up aren't too high.

Robert

9. TGregg

TGregg

Back during the height of "Irrational exuberance", I found a company (OTC, I think), that did absolutely nothing. They were funded to examine other companies and consider buying one. No promises, even. They had absolutely zero income, zero revenue and zero sales and absolutely no expectation of any of those numbers changing. Yet their stock traded *every day*.

I wonder how hard it is to do something like that.

10. omcate

omcate

It is very difficult now. Bankruptcies in US are near the all time high. The IPO market in 2002 is the worst in 21 years(or something like that).

:(

#10     Jan 11, 2003