Microsoft security patches: any problems?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by svtrader, Feb 10, 2004.

1. I'm running Windows XP and have heard from friends that these security patches can sometimes really screw up things on your PC. Microsoft just issued another "critical" one today.

What's been your experience with these monthly security patches?

2. Lancer

Lancer

The best thing to do, IMO, is to go to Google Groups and search UseNet for the update number. See what problems others are having with a particular update before you give it a try. Maybe give it 2 weeks after release, and if all clear by then, install it.

3. Patch is a patch.

4. Appreciate the suggestion, will check out Google Groups.

5. It was a while ago, I had a problem with this patch....Q811493....slowed down my computer.

Turned out to be a problem for XP with a certain service pack. Microsoft had info on their site about the problem and on how to uninstall it and then issued another patch.

Now I just wait a couple days before installing the patches to see if there's a problem first.

6. prox

prox

Haven't had any problems that I can blame on the patch..

Windows has it's own problems as it is.

7. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

When we see a good reason to consider applying a patch or update then we designate a test configuration / machine and back up that configuration, install the patch/update, retest the system with all the apps and if there are any problems we simply restore the backed up configuration.

I know this is a lot of work but it really is the only way to ensure that one of these updates does not casuse a problem on a working configuration.

8. :confused: :mad:

9. shyhh

shyhh

If there is any problem, you can usually uninstall the patch from "Add or Remove Programs".

10. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

A mess but exactly the same procedure we use on every other OS and application server - LINUX, SUN etc. This is just the safest way to handle things.

The much much easier alternative is to simply turn on automatic update in windows and let all of this be taken care of for you automatically. If you are comfortable with this and it works for your configuration then it is a great alternative.

#10     Feb 13, 2004