Microsoft pays 8.5 billion cash for a skype?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by fanews, May 10, 2011.

1. BwPirt

BwPirt

I thought about this, but in relation to the iPhone. I think it depends on what plans they have for Skype, because it doesn't make much sense to limit the user potential unless I'm just not seeing something.

#11     May 11, 2011
  2. I make no claims of genius, unlike most on elite. I actually thought MSFT with their cash would figure out how to do alot better over the last few years. I bought in at ~18/ share while we were in the market plunge, and I figured companies with butt loads of cash were safest. I've been selling calls, and puts, as I have room for more, without going into more than 2x leverage, but I really should have bailed around $30. Balmer is a useless tool. A company with the cash position they have should if nothing else been able to buy into emerging tech, but Ballmer is a waste of time as a boss, and should be canned. Cripes, I'm way ahead and making a good return on MSFT, but there is no excuse for them to be so lame, other than Ballmer.
    I don't buy into Skype, and it maybe the turning point for me. On the other hand I can still sell against my position and that is a decent return, plus a dividend. On a similiar note I'm in CSCO also for the same reasons, and making cash every 30-60 days, but cripes, when does the good old boys club end and a winner take over and move a company forward? Chambers had his day, but he isn't a mature company, growth guy, obviously.
    I would like a homerun trade, but I haven't had one in a long time. I'm tired of working for a living. Man I miss the days of volatility and ridiculous homerun trades. :D

#12     May 11, 2011
  3. hajimow

hajimow

It seems that you are a conservative and disciplined trader/investor. You were wishing for the volatility and you can always find it somewhere but maybe not in MSFT or CSCO. If you want excitement, trade, NFLX, PCLN,.... Not that I do.

#13     May 11, 2011
  4. I use skype to call my clients around the world. I also use skype to video conference and use it on my cell phone to call World Wide, as it is far cheaper than any other means.

Skype is a great resource for those of us who work in a Global Arena.

#14     May 11, 2011