Microsoft Excel can provide real-time stock data

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by CET, Jun 6, 2019.

1. CET

CET

I just saw this article and thought some would be interested.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/05/excel-real-tme-stock-data-nasdaq/?yptr=yahoo

You might use Excel to track your budget, but your investments? That's less likely when stock prices change from moment to moment. Now, though, you don't have to think much about it. Microsoft has teamed with Nasdaq and market info provider Refinitiv to bring real-time stock data to Excel spreadsheets in Office 365. Type in a stock symbol, click Stocks and you can fill cells with real-time data like the price, last trade times and 52-week highs or lows. They can be used in formulas, too.

Excel also supports a wider range of data as part of the expansion, including bitcoin, bonds, foreign currencies and company info. You could already pull in more stationary data for mutual funds and other stock indexes like the Dow Jones and S&P 500.

The feature is available now. Microsoft characterizes it as "just the beginning," though. Eventually, you'll have access to historic data and automatic price updates every few minutes. You might soon have a living spreadsheet that reflects exactly what's happening to your portfolio.

userque likes this.
  2. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

And a baseball bat can be used as a tennis racquet...

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. drm7

drm7

I use it and it works pretty well for long-term portfolios. Obviously useless for any kind of short-term trading.

Maverick2608 likes this.
  4. Doesn't seem to work for MS Office 365 Home version, but only for Office 365 Business Premium and similar.

Anyone with the same experience?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  5. Do you have a MS Office 365 for home or business?

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

7. drm7

drm7

I have both, but the excel functionality is on my work computer. I think 365 for Mac is a little slower to update new features.

Maverick2608 likes this.
  8. It has to be updated all the time, if you want to have the most recent statistic.

9. deaddog

deaddog

I have Office 365 Family>
    Works just fine for updating portfolios at the end of the day.

10. That's one way of using it.

#10     Aug 31, 2022