microsoft antivirus software

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by hoodooman, Jan 3, 2010.

1. The best I've found is NOD32 from ESET. Light weight. Efficient. Effective. Excellent product. (www.eset.com)

#11     Jan 3, 2010
  2. Would you recommend this for a trading PC? I want to start using a virus scanner on my trading PC (well technically the host server not on the virtual XP instance running the trading apps) but I do not want something like Mcafee which will take over the CPU just when I need it.

#12     Jan 3, 2010
  3. You have to pay to protect Microsoft own operating system with their own software? Something they should deal with from the get go, is that right?

#13     Jan 3, 2010
  4. GTS

GTS

The vast majority of virus infections come from user actions, not OS flaws, e.g. launching attachments or programs from questionable or unknown sources.

Oh, and Microsoft Security Essentials is free.

#14     Jan 3, 2010
  5. I use it on both of my trading PCs. I'm running a lot of software and handling a lot of data, including bridging data transformations between programs. NOD32 is the only one I've used that works with very low overhead and no problems. (Note: I've only used their AV software. I'm not familiar with their other products, e.g. firewall, etc.)

#15     Jan 3, 2010
  6. Stosh

Stosh

I've had MSE on my Windows 7 laptop that I bought a couple of months ago.....no problems as yet. Stosh

#16     Jan 4, 2010
  7. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

I installed in on both of my desktops. No problems so far, both run win xp, SP3, 32 bit.

Make sure to remove all other AV and i removed windows defender as well.

Interesting part is that i scanned it for the first time which took a couple hours, and it did find a trojan on one of the laptops, which has had AVG-free version for over one year.

Will write later with any issues,

#17     Jan 4, 2010
  8. mtt

mtt

I recommend Comodo too. They have a good firewall and antivirus solution for free.

I thought AVG was too weak but it has potential.

#18     Jan 5, 2010
  9. great posts everybody

#19     Jan 13, 2010