Microsoft and why did i do it?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by r-in, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Bob111

Bob111

my bet for all of you, with slow startup\shutdown -i'm sure you have some unnecessary services running.

here is resource for you, with various types of setups(do it carefully and always backup before you make any changes)

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm

#21     Feb 5, 2006
  2. When you screw around with this...only change one or two services at a time...

#22     Feb 6, 2006
  3. Linux solved 2 nasty for my companies - namely,
    no control over our platform cost (Vendor can raise prices at will) and no control over the source code and bug fixes/enhancements. This later issue feeds into security problems where we cant risk not being able to quickly obtain a patch or remedy a problem.

If none of these things are important to you the n $soft should be fine.

Nothing has really changed in the $soft world - the platform is still relatively brittle with respect to software additions/deletions. On this platform your goal should be to install the absolute MINIMUM of software required to accomplish your goal : this means moving things like intrusion detection/software firewalls to hardware. Turn off unnecessary services and once the machine is configured back everything up and do NOT install any new software (but heck if you do and it doesnt work then you can simply restore everything from your backup).

My expereince is that Linux and open source is much more reliable secure etc etc etc. but if $soft meets your needs then stick with it.....

Slow boot usually means that too much is going on st startup .... a properly configured minimal XP system boots in less than a minute.

#23     Feb 6, 2006
  4. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Hi FCCT,

Did you happen to install Norton Internet security or Anti-virus. If so, then this is most likely your problem since my computer takes 5 minutes to shutdown also.

#24     Feb 6, 2006
  5. All true if you don't want to make the effort and prefer to stay a sucker.
    In fact by your own admission you say "but I can't even found on Linux sites what version I need for my computer". How can you then go on and assert: "but I can't even found on Linux sites what version I need for my computer"?
    Doesn't make sense.

Indeed as you say: "It may take hell of time". If you are ensnared by the devil, it takes some will power to become free again. The road to hell always 'looks' rosier. :D

#25     Feb 7, 2006
  6. r-in

r-in

Well so far only have done a clean boot and that has my start up time down to just under 2 minutes from 5 minutes. Not sure what it cleaned out, but something changed as a result. Now my main problem is my dang canon BJC 1000 printer quit cooperating, or communicating. I've unloaded it and reloaded with current drivers from canon, but no luck. I guess I have my next computer project! Aye caramba!

#26     Feb 8, 2006
  7. r-in

r-in

Another oddity involves my email accounts. I have 1 business and 2 personal and no matter which one I use last and close the email program in(Outlook Express) it always defaults back to my business email account when I open it the next time. Previous to applying SP2 it would reopen in whichever account I had last closed it in.

#27     Feb 8, 2006
  8. r-in

r-in

One last post as all seems to be normal again. The one positive note seems to be Tradestation is loading in at most 30 seconds now as opposed to just over a minute before SP2. No idea why, but I like it.

#28     Feb 15, 2006