Micro volumes since launch

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TreeFrogTrader, May 8, 2019.

1. Nearly 1.3M Micro E-mini Futures Traded Since Launch
    S&P 500│Nasdaq-100 │Dow Jones Industrial Average │Russell 2000
    [​IMG]

In the first three days of trading, Micro E-mini futures volume reached nearly 1.3M total contracts across the four indices.

Traders worldwide are taking advantage of new Micro E-mini futures to manage portfolio risk and express views on market direction.

Unprecedented volumes in first three days
    Micro E-minis broke through the 500K daily volume threshold on day three, after trading more than 487K contracts on Tuesday and 310K contracts on Monday, for the most successful new product launch in CME Group’s history.

Strong global participation
    Over 95,000 contracts traded before the U.S. cash market open on day three, continuing a trend of robust trading in Asian and European trading hours.

Significant trading in all four index products
    A breakdown of Micro E-mini futures volume in the first three days: 660K+ in S&P 500 (MES), 425K+ in Nasdaq-100 (MNQ), 140K+ in Dow (MYM), and 68K+ in Russell 2000 (M2K).

[​IMG]Source: Bloomberg and CME Group. All data as of U.S. cash market close on May 8.

CALLumbus, They and trader99 like this.
  2. bone

bone

Has ES and NQ volume suffered any ?

3. Hard to say considering the current volatility increased volume for both.

4. vanv0029

vanv0029

I think someone posted that when ES 50x mini was launched in 1997 nominal value was about the same $14k value as the new micro.

5. maxinger

maxinger

strange way of presenting data by showing
    cumulative volume since launch.

perhaps presenter should present daily volume of mini and micro

comagnum likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

That's easy.

Monday
    ES - 2.04 million
    MES - 159K

NQ - 630K
    MNQ - 92K

YM - 283K
    MYM - 25K

RTY - 148K
    M2K - 34K

Tuesday
    ES - 2,8 million
    MES - 247K

NQ - 838K
    MNQ - 159K

YM - 378K
    MYM - 62K

RTY - 184K
    M2K - 20K

Wednesday​
    ES - 2.04 million
    MES - 255K

NQ - 622K
    MNQ - 174K

YM - 306K
    MYM - 60K

RTY - 142K
    M2K - 16K

The average daily volume of MGC over those 3 days has been 7K and that's been around for over 8 years, so based on these numbers it seems the e-micro indices are here to stay.

CALLumbus, They and maxinger like this.
  7. There's plenty of volume on the bid/ask in the DOM in the micros... plus on the e-minis... to trade just about any size* any trader wants to do.

*Yeah, it's still a hassle to trade 5000-lots in the ES.

8. Handle123

Handle123

Think once volatility reduces, so does the volume in e-micros. I think CME was good to start them as a way to tap those who do Forex cause of smaller increment size. When those who gain experience enough to graduate to larger size E-Mini's, they won't be scalpers which can be another benefit for overall price action.

I have to wonder though, will HFT's kick into this e-micros? What are your thoughts?

What is retail brokerage fee difference though between 5,000 lot ES and 50,000 MES,
    am sure much tougher to work 1,000 lots in S&P pit, but brokerage be far less for overall fees. Might take all day to work that order and few get filled?

CME will make consistent money's on micro's to keep the lights on. It not different though when they had the Mid-Am, and that died years ago from lack of volume.

9. I don't think so. Too small to bother with.... plus the 1/4 pt tic. Then again, if the exchanges grants them dispensation to "steal only a little bit" by trading sub-tic for the rest of us, who knows?

I was just kidding about the "5000-lot" in the ES. Too much slippage.

Commissions and fees are higher on the micros... but the brokers can't offer "$.20 all-in per side" even if they want to... unless the CME and the routers come way down on their fees.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  10. Turveyd

Turveyd

E-Micro's are going to keep growing in volume, as more people here they can start trading with $500 or whatever rather than 10K, more people will be going from demo to live aswell as time goes on.

Trading YM/US30 more via SpotFX 2pt spread fixed, likely move to Micro Futures end of the month.

Keep SpotFX account for DAX trades I guess.

Be like the Forex bubble 20years ago, before they all got shot down and recently margins crippled :(

#10     May 9, 2019