Micro CL contract - support the introduction by CME - petition

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by steve2222, Nov 13, 2019.

1. bone

bone

He’s from New Zealand. But he could possibly find an oil proxy on the Nikkei.

#51     Nov 17, 2019
  2. steve2222

steve2222

It's not all about me:)
    I can trade the HKFE, Osaka and Eurex exchanges in my timezone.
    But I would still support the CME introducing a micro CL as it gives a viable 'learning' futures instrument for those outside the USA timezone due to favourable moves off the London and sometimes Singapore times.
    I just don't understand why the CME would not want to pick up some of this 'learner' business from elsewhere in the world (including attracting current CFD traders) given the success with their micro equity contracts.

#52     Nov 18, 2019
  3. A few years ago I talked to a CME rep on the phone about this very idea. He told me they had tried a micro CL, but the volumes were so poor back then they eventually cancelled it.

With the smashing success of the micro stock indexes, and with micro Gold doing quite well now volume-wise, I will be quite surprised if they do not restore a micro CL, and with similar size and fee parameters as the above mentioned micros. It will be a great way to get a feel for this volatile and challenging market for newbies, especially as spreads tighten quickly. It took awhile but I often see one or two tick spreads on micro gold now as volume has solidified. Including during the sweet spot when Japan opens during Globex.

I personally have seen many situations where I could have used a micro CL or two to take a calculated risk on an intermediate time frame or even longer move, where a full CL just wasn't wise within my then stop loss limits. And I have successfully used the micro stocks and gold for day trading, and envision using one or a few micro CL as well for that purpose.

CME made the bet that they could take for themselves some of the ETF volume via these micros, and they have been a success by any number of measures. I personally believe the micro CL will soon join the others as a valuable tool, and like the other micros may draw some more traders into the advantages of futures.

#53     Dec 6, 2019
    Real Money likes this.