Michigan woman still collecting welfare after winning the lottery

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gwb-trading, Mar 7, 2012.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

24-year-old Michigan woman still collecting welfare after winning the lottery. "It's okay because I'm not working. I have bills to pay. I have two houses"

What a great example of your tax dollars at work. Michigan $1M lottery winner still collecting welfare benefits, owns two homes, new car etc. Someone still going to tell me that the system is not abused?

Amanda Clayton: $1m lottery winner STILL collecting welfare

2. pspr

pspr

I'll bet she is going to vote for Obama this fall.

3. Brass

Brass

Who ever suggested the system is not being abused and doesn't need reform? You need to work on your narrative.

4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Do I need to start linking thousands of previous posts in the Politics & Religion forum?

and yes, I'm pretty sure I know who she's voting for this coming election.

5. Brass

Brass

Yes, I believe you do. The system is suboptimal, but that does not preclude the need for a comprehensive system. I don't think anyone would argue that point. What the Right wishes to do, however, is to effectively dismantle it for all intents and purposes.

So, go ahead, start linking.

6. It's free swipe your EBT
    ------------

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NzspsovNvII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Think of it this way...at least she paid over $200,000 in taxes from her lottery win. Thats more than the average american will pay in taxes in his life. So after the lump sum & taxes she got $500k. Lets say she paid $150k for that house. That leaves $350k. If she puts that in a bank and earns 1.25%, then she is only getting $4375 per year or $364 per month. Hardly able to live off that.

Maybe it will make you happy to know though that she will probably blow through that money in 1 to 2 years anyway, and have to be back on food stamps again. So really how much is she "taking away from taxpayers?" She paid in $200k, and is going to take out what? $2,400 in benefits?

This is obviously a moral issue, not a taxpayers being abused issue because she more than paid into the system with that lottery win. Obviously more than she will ever take out (unless she is on food stamps for the NEXT 80+ years) Then come back and complain.

8. Lucrum

Lucrum

And for good reason. Of course forcing these parasites into a life of personal responsibility would cost the democrats votes. Which is why they so vehemently oppose reform.

9. Brass

Brass

Lucrum, you're nothing but an empty smirk.

10. Do I hear breaking glass?

#10     Mar 8, 2012