Michelle Wie Comes Agonizingly Close To Qualifying For US Open

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Already legal in Utah (16). She's Hawaiian though.

#31     Sep 15, 2006
  2. Here's the deal. She is restricted to a limited number of LPGA events because of her age. She played in them and top 5'd them all. As one of the commentators observed Thursday, it's not like she's begging sponsors to get exemptions into these Tour events. She puts 20,000 extra spectators in when she's playing.

This week's event was not a great pick for her because it is one of the longest on Tour. She is a great talent and one day will make a cut, maybe even contend. But not for a while. Probably she needs to cool it on the PGA events. Maybe give Q School a try. But finishing dead last and missing cuts by 20 strokes is not really doing anything for her.

She looks fantastic though.

#32     Sep 15, 2006
  3. "But finishing dead last and missing cuts by 20 strokes is not really doing anything for her."

I don't see how you can say that categorically.

She may be learning things about golf, and men, and herself, and the media/business that she wouldn't learn in other ways.

I don't see a problem with bringing up a player from AAA in baseball to the majors, giving them a shot, then sending them back down for more work and learning.

As long as she is learning, and growing, and not screwing up here game (the mental aspect too) I am all for it.

#33     Sep 15, 2006
  4. Magna

Magna Administrator

Part of that is her doing. She has purposely not petitioned the LPGA Commissioner for early entry, and if she had they would probably welcome a draw of her stature with open arms.

Agree, and because some sponsors are chomping at the bit (both for the PGA and some LPGA events) it's been a big reason she hasn't petitioned the LPGA to get full playing status. Plus, lest we forget, she has to devote a fair amount of time to High School.

True, the length was tough on her. But she knew the course well, had played on it 3-4 times/yr for the past two years. People thought the familiarity might make the difference but the length (combined with her poor putting) did her in.

After two rounds of the 84 Lumber Classic she trailed the leaders by 23 strokes, but "only" missed the cut by 13 strokes (she was +14, cutline was +1). But I agree, missing the cut by a substantial margin like that, combined with coming in absolute last two tournaments in a row, cannot be helping her psyche. She's young, she'll rebound, but that stuff causes damage. And combine that, regardless of placing near the top, with never having won on the LPGA.

Positively. Undeniably. Emphatically.

#34     Sep 16, 2006
  5. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

wei's gone from phenom to pleb, all before he 18th birthday.

I guess there is a lesson, if you make bold predictions about making history, give yourself a snowball's chance in hell of achieving it.

("I think it's definitely possible for me to make the Ryder Cup team ...", "I definitely want to keep playing out here and competing with them," she said. "I'm really enjoying it. Obviously, everyone knows my ultimate goal is to play in the Masters. I like playing out here, making cuts -- start making cuts -- start getting Top 10s. I mean, who knows what's going to happen?")

Okay, there tuts ..

Hell, even Evil Kneiveal made it half-way across the Grand Canyon.

#35     Sep 16, 2006
  6. I don't have a problem with her playing in these events, and I was as excited as anyone about her possibly being competitive. But the key to it was being competitive. She is a very poor putter by PGA standards and is one of, if not the, shortest hitters in the field. She was close to making the cut in a couple of events, but now seems to be regressing a bit. I suppose that is to be expected, but I think she has to be careful about flopping this badly again. She will totally destroy her image and run the risk of developing psychological issues.

My advice would be to give Q School a try. If she makes it or makes the Nationwide, then no one can carp, and if she doesn't, at least she tried to get in through the front door. Cool it on the PGA exemptions until she has won multiple times on the LPGA.

#36     Sep 16, 2006
  7. Magna

Magna Administrator

An update on Michelle who is now 18 and legal. By any measurement her 2007 season was a total disaster.
    • Played 8 LPGA events and only made 3 cuts (and 2 of those 3 events had no cuts)
    • Played a total of 19 rounds and had a scoring average of 76.68
    • 8 of those 19 rounds were scores of 79 or higher
    • 0 of those 19 rounds were scores of 70 or lower
    • At the Ginn Tribute she was 14 over par thru 16 holes, 2 holes and 2 shots away from the magic score of 88. The LPGA has a "Rule of 88" where hitting that score means you cannot play in any further LPGA events for the remainder of the year. After her agent came out and discussed things with her she suddenly withdrew claiming injury. Two days later she was on the practice range pounding balls in preparation for her next tournament.
    • 4 months before the event she was given an exemption to the limited (20) field Samsung Championship. This pissed off alot of LPGA golfers as it's one of their elite tournaments and very difficult to get into. Three people ranked in the Top 10 (Annika Sorenstam, Karrie Webb, and Julie Inkster) didn't receive an invitation. They bent the rules to extend an exception to Annika, winner the previous year, and she graciously declined saying it wouldn't be fair to the golfer she would replace. Graciousness, on the other hand, has never been a part of Michelle's repertoire. She went on to finish next to last place, a whopping 36 shots behind the winner Lorena Ochoa.
    • Her agent Greg Nared resigned after 1 year.
    • She went thru 5 different caddies, finishing the season with her father on the bag.
    • Her swing coach David Leadbetter recently told the Toronto Globe and Mail that "Now with Greg Nared leaving you feel like this is the Titanic".
    It would be hard for 2008 not to be an improvement. Maybe being a fulltime student at Stanford will help sort things out, or maybe she'll continue to be a bust having never won a single tournament on the LPGA tour. But, oh yeah, she still looks mighty fine.

#37     Oct 23, 2007
  8. ...Ohh..and you forgot to mention she's a multi millionaire and probably made more in endorsements then any other woman in the LPGA this year or damn close to it...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

they have spent 5 years since she was 13 trying to prove she can hit the ball 320 yadrs like men....but what about the rest of the game? Imagine a Child prodigy football player who wants to prove at 14 he can throw the ball as far as Tom Brady??? ok. so you can throw it 70 yards....can you hit a moving target? throw over or under coverage??? what a waste of a potential Ms Tiger woods

#38     Oct 23, 2007
  9. sim03

sim03

Apparently, she's set her sights on becoming the Anna Kournikova of golf.

#39     Oct 23, 2007
  10. Very funny but Anna was a legitimate top 20 player for a long time. She never won a tournament, but it was still a big achievement.

Michelle Wie however has already displayed more than enough game to dominate the women's tour. I predict that she will put this year behind her and be a multiple winner next year.

#40     Oct 24, 2007