Michael Phelps is a Pothead

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Well by now I am sure everyone knows that this Michael Phelps is a big pothead. We also know that this Barak Obama was a cokehead by his own admission. So the question I have is, if we have a pothead winning 8 gold medals at the Olympics and an admitted coke user becoming the President of the United States, do drugs really screw your life up, like we have been told?

2. Let me guess, you voted for Obama?

3. If <i>everyone</i> who's used weed on occasion (37% of America) is a 'pothead', wouldn't that also mean that <b>all</b> occasional/social drinkers are 'alcoholics'?
    One little bong hit does not a pothead make.

I'm down with your main point though.

4. There is nothing wrong with an occasional smoke, those that fight against it either never tried it, or have a problem in some fashion with it.

5. Or maybe they are smart enough to understand the statistics and reality that there is a much larger amount of people that abuse drugs when they have been legal in the past.

You could say that you are only advocating the occasional smoke.

If drugs did become legal than more people would occasionally smoke but that also means more people would abuse the drugs.

6. wjk

wjk

It's a shame that he will most likely lose millions in endorsements for having a little fun. Add one more casualty to the list of the war on drugs.

Anyone find it troubling that politicians can say they've done these things, yet they enjoy their nice fat salaries and all the future perks that go with it? Hell, you can even be a tax cheat and make it big in politics. But if your a civilian and you do these things, your career is over (or worse). I know, it's a role model thing, but still...

7. In that case, I'm sure the Netherlands is just completely plagued with habitual pot smokers- far more than the rest of the prohibition-stricken world, right?

Lifetime prevalence of marijuana use (ages 12+):
    U.S.A.: 36.9%
    Holland: 17.0%

Past month prevalence of marijuana use (ages 12+):
    U.S.A.: 5.4%
    Holland: 3.0%

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/67

Kinda sucks when facts get in the way of one's beliefs, doesn't it?

8. I'll be in Amsterdam for 2 weeks in June for the first time. It is going to be sooo great to be able to smoke pot and not have to worry about anything.

9. fhl

fhl

I've got a couple of quotes about statistics I find handy.

Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

or maybe: I can prove anything by statistics except the truth.

I suppose no speed limit on the autobahn doesn't cause anyone to drive faster either.

The idea that jail, fines, and/or prison time does not deter drug use is not any different than saying that fines and jail don't compel more people to pay their taxes.

When statistics defy common sense, a little judgement is in order.

In fact, you might say "kinda sucks when common sense gets in the way of so called facts, doesn't it?"

10. TGregg

TGregg

Absolutely not. You should immediately do as many as you can get your hands on.

#10     Feb 2, 2009