Michael Moore opens his mouth again

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

April 25, 2004 -- DERANGED documentarian Michael Moore likens the cowards who murder U.S soldiers in Iraq to the colonists who fought in the American Revolution. "The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not 'insurgents' or 'terrorists' or 'The Enemy,' " he writes on his Web site. "They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow - and they will win. Get it, Mr. [George W.] Bush?" The flabby filmmaker goes on to say that the UN should stay out of Iraq because Americans who supported the war deserve to see their sons and daughters die in it. "Why should the other countries of this world, countries who tried to talk us out of this folly, now have to clean up our mess? . . . I'm sorry, but the majority of Americans supported this war once it began and, sadly, that majority must now sacrifice their children until enough blood has been let that maybe - just maybe - God and the Iraqi people will forgive us in the end."

2. Like it or not, the US is now an occupying military force.

Forces opposing us are more similar than not to other anti-colonial struggles through the years...

3. Good article on the myths surrounding Columbine regarding the personal psychology of the two boys including some "interesting" discussion of the psychopathic nature of one of them:

http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2099203

4. While I do not want to see anymore US soldiers killed - and support our troops, I always thought it was a bit crazy to call people in Iraq who fight us "terrorists". We did, after all, invade and [now] occupy THEIR country.

5. Any possibility of shipping his giant fat ass to Iraq as part of a food relief program? Provided the denizens aren't on a low fat diet, which would render the obese Mr. Moore totally uneatable, he could likely provide sustenance for the entire city of Basra for at least the next month. And I can think of no better use for that otherwise complete waste of a human being than such noble service to his fellow global citizens (and diners).

6. nitro

nitro

I have come to the conclusion that on all the hard issues in this world, there are smart reasonable people on both sides of many issues.

What fascinates me is one would think that as the modern world explodes with information access, that we would be better able to make intelligent decisions. On the contrary.

What I have found instead is that what people do instead is use their half of the information to "prove" or "attack" those that do not share their beliefs and to sway public opinion. The "other" side then, believeing that they are being manipulated, launch their own informational attack and emotionally entrench themselves even more in their current belief.

These trends are relatively harmless at this point, but the trend is distinct, and IMO I see no other culmination to these trends than total and complete breakdown Democracy as we know it. People are already predicting that if a nuke ever goes off in a major city, our freedom as we know it today will be lost for a long long time. The "Patriot Act" and what we have to go thru at airports are but hints of what the consequences of our lost freedoms look like.

It amazes me the sociology of technology that makes more and more people "equals," all accelerated by the machine that is capitalism. What is even scarrier is all these self appointed geniuses that hold these polarized opinions and are self appointed experts and expose their opinions as fact. Most of these people remind me of the "educators" that come on ET to teach you to trade. This kind of behavior seem universal on all levels.

It seems to me that Marx's "vision" that Capitalism must implode under it's own weight is once again looking more and more probable. People think that the terrorists are some arabs that belive in Allah - I think the real terrorists are much more dangerous than that - look in the mirror.

nitro

7. Some very eloquent and well thought out points, nitro...

8. But the big difference is that this US "occupying military force" has virtually nothing in common with occupying military forces of the past.

The US isn't occupying Iraq in order to annex its territory or to set up a permament colonial government there.

On the contrary, it has been clearly (very, very, very -- unmistakbly -- clear) from the outset that the US military presence in Iraq is to facilitate the transition to democracy from the Saddam era.

So these "freedom fighters" are essentially fighting for nothing (or for nothing good); least of all their freedom, because they are already guaranteed it.

9. And I, after reading your last paragraph, have come to the conclusion that you are certainly not one of them.

#10     Apr 25, 2004